Boris Johnson tops first vote in UK Conservative Party election; winner will be prime minister too

21 Likes

Well, from their perspective Boris is a good, sane choice.

He is the only leadership candidate who stands any chance of appealing to the “I want Brexit now, NOW, NOW!!!” voter.

And we have a lot of those and most of them are the sort of people who would otherwise vote Tory.

The Tory party is seriously at risk of vanishing as an electoral force, going the way of the Liberal Party or the Whigs. Or so they fear.

Boris could appeal to the hardcore Brexit crowd as well as the more ‘steady’ “I vote Conservative because I’m scared Jeremy Corbyn will take away my golf clubs” type of Tory voter and the general “I don’t know anything about politics but Boris is a decent chap” sort of idiot.

The hardcore Brexiters probably won’t vote Tory even if Boris is leader but enough might to make him their perceived best option.

Their best option - not the country’s. The Conservative Party has survived as long as it has by ruthlessly putting the Party’s interests ahead of anything else.

9 Likes

Okay kids, since you don’t want liver & onions, how about a nice Marmite milkshake instead?

9 Likes

From May to Boris? I don’t see that as an improvement…

4 Likes

Liver and onions will be compulsory post-Brexit. As will tripe - sold in Imperial measures.

Also winkles.

7 Likes

My UK friends, I sense you have a problem like our current Republican problem. which is to say, an entire party is so off the rails that when they chose the most ideal candidate within that platform, you get the worst person overall. The only solution is removing power from the party. Sux that your prime minister isn’t directly elected like ours is so that is a bit more difficult to correct. It’s like if they decided trump was a problem and forced him out and, because the republicans were in control, they made Mitch McConnell president instead. Scary. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

5 Likes

24 Likes

@LutherBlisset I totally agree. Its a bad episode.

2 Likes

Boris is that UK’s Trump. People are fools.

How do I get off this planet?!?

4 Likes

My brain hurts.

1 Like

Are there any non-evil/non-stupid nations left? There’s no way I’ll ever be able to move to one, but I’d like to think there’s at least one nation left that’s not gone either crazy or supervillain.

3 Likes

“Well, it’ll have to come out then!”

6 Likes

Canada…maybe? Though it looks like Prime Minister Fancy Pants may loose to Conservative I’m not as racist robot as the last guy really Sheer because the alternative is a guy in a turban and we can’t have that now.
Gah.

3 Likes

What the he11 UK? Weren’t you supposed to be the smug smarter one of our two countries? I guess I’m looking to Merkel for leadership now.

Where’s the best botanical garden in Canada? Do they hire botanists with a “data science” background? And would the salary support more than one person?

I might consider it.

But then, have you seen who’s the head of state…?

2 Likes

I’m partial to the Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington Ontario https://www.rbg.ca/science, but probably because I get to visit it as often as I’m in the area. I wouldn’t pin my hopes on a job there, it’s charity and government grant funded and our conservative provincial government is cutting funding to everything not corporate.
For pretty pictures with no politics check out https://www.instagram.com/rbgcanada/ it should help lower one’s blood pressure.

2 Likes

At this point there’s really no excuse - the English know that Boris is their Trump and will bring the chaos hurricane and pretty much a guaranteed hard Brexit. Anything but this clown.

3 Likes

I know America claims to lead the free world, but you really don’t have to follow us on the road to bad hair and bigotry.

4 Likes

bucket

9 Likes

He’s intelligent enough to do damage without having to be reminded to keep to dog whistles. Trump openly tells everyone how dangerous he is. Boris doesn’t usually, although the mask does slip occasionally.

6 Likes