Boston Dynamics introduces "nightmare-inducing" robot

I love the way how the robot smartly ‘snapped’ back at 1:29, as if to say, “Hmph! No prob!”

2 Likes

2-stroke engines burning the equivalent of bunker fuel. You think I’m kidding, maybe? I’m not. I have a buddy in the trade. The demo robots use batteries because technicians and representatives of the ruling classes are present (and their lungs matter). In the field, nothing outperforms extremely high-polluting small engines, so the battery-driven ones will be reserved for stealth missions.

Don’t worry, unless the two major political parties suddenly disappear, there will always be plenty of desperately poor humans who will work for less money than it costs to maintain robots.

I’m just a little ray of sunshine today, I guess. Sorry.

12 Likes

wait - is that assignment or equality?

1 Like

Isn’t this like the third time this has been posted here?

The warehouse robot’s posture reminds me of the firefighter models in this “game”. Though it may be that I am just reminded of unnaturalism, and my mind fills in the gap with a spurious, but quite recent comparison.

It can be both at the same time.

That depends on what your definition of “is” is.

1 Like
7 Likes

Yeah, we’re fucked.

I can’t see why this project isn’t hand in hand with a ‘sociological change’ team.

But obviously, these bots aren’t destined only for warehouses. They’re going to arm them for security work.

6 Likes

Ho ho ho it was so fun. Then the neural nets lit up and it came for me.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sorry, I am not understanding the nightmare-induction. For a tech, arts, and culture blog - most people here seem to get very silly about robots.

1 Like

Because, unlike you, most of us are concerned about making money, paying for our kids’ college, the mortgage, etc. and we would like to have work in order to receive this money.

6 Likes

I’m trying to figure out if the dog was challenging the robot, trying to ‘herd’ it, or wanted to play. I was getting elements of all 3 things.

4 Likes

That’s true, the original ‘big dog’ robut was gas, but it was so damn loud, I can’t see it ever being used in combat… unless you just overwhelm the enemy with sound from aerial drones so that they can’t fix any positions based on sound. I’m sure they’ll figure it all out, no need to give them any more help. They seem to be doing fine.

1 Like

I think it was “play with me, really big dog thing!”

2 Likes
12 Likes

I bet you dream of electric sheep.

8 Likes
1 Like

i’d still give the most nightmare inducing award to the drone swarm:

4 Likes

At least we get to see what’s going to be chasing us down the street while they pull all the books out of our homes to burn.

6 Likes