Brave humorists take on the phonecase-industrial complex

To date since 2003; I’ve had them fall out of my pocket into a toilet, into a swimming pool, and once into a busy street as I was crossing, where it was promptly run over by a car…

As awesome as that would be, she was just a wise old woman who read a lot, and then tried to pass on the knowledge she’d gleaned to her grandkids.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

But where do you carry the external battery for the too-thin-to-contain-a-usable-capacity-battery-design if not in a battery case?

2 Likes

Caseless forever.

Started with a Note2 many years ago which got cracked when my son purposefully knocked it out of my hand. $45 or so for glass and an hour of time, I had it swapped out.

On my second phone, Note4, caseless and bought used. No desire to fatten it up senselessly when in 7+ years of smert phoned-ness I’ve had so few issues.

Though a coworker shattered his iphone and used it for 2 month or so. after the 3rd time he sliced his finger, he ponied up for a new one.

There are two types of phone users. Those who own a phone case, and those who have never dropped their phone on a hard surface.

3 Likes

It definitely helps that although i am somewhat clumsy i also have pretty darn quick reflexes so the only damage on my current phone (the only one actually damaged so far) is a tiny chip/crack well away from the screen.

I’m personally feeling a little relieved it’s not well-known across the great sea.

2 Likes

And then there’s those who’ve dropped a phone, had it self-dissasemble, reassembled it and carried on as if nothing happened, and dropped another phone and needed a new screen, and throughout it all, and still, only ever used a pouch to protect it when not in use, and remove it from the pouch and always actually use it ‘naked’ (the phone, not me).

1 Like

A.k.a. the cool aunt/uncle.

2 Likes

Ironically, those mishaps only happened to the cheaper phones I’ve had; including a Motorola Razr that I got on sale and a standard Nokia flip-phone (which still worked fine, once I fished it out of the pool and dried the battery out.)

I guess once I started buying more expensive ‘smart-phones,’ I subconsciously became more cautious.

3 Likes

Possibly same here. The one phone i killed was a flip phone that fell into a slush puddle.

2 Likes

The fear of dropping it gives me a good grip and bad dreams about dropping it. My wife uses a case and still managed to shatter her screen.

Now that I’ve said all this, I expect to break my phone beyond repair within the next 24 hours. The clock is ticking.

3 Likes

I dropped my $1000 slab of glass twice just today. Damn right I have this sucker in a case.

4 Likes

Yes! I finally get to use the one Jack Tripper gif I had.

God, I’m old.

13 Likes

Screw that; I’m not claiming “being old” until I’m dead.

RIP John Ritter

8 Likes

She wasn’t using a tempered glass screen protector? Those things are designed to absorb the energy of an impact and shatter instead. They’re arguably more important than a case protector.

2 Likes

I haven’t had a case on my phone for years and the number of times something like this has happened is zero.

3 Likes

It gets worse?!

1 Like

I rather wish my phone at least came with an attachment point for some kind of wrist strap – if anything, that’s a serious practical measure to protect against dropping.

I could have tracked down a case with the equivalent, but once I found one whose appearance I liked, I could not be bothered.

My Palm Treo also has a case, because even though that thing is built like a brick, I still managed to render one nearly inoperable after keeping it in my pocket for long enough.

3 Likes

jtfp

7 Likes

no case for the crown commission starfing