Bread can be made from a gangrenous wound's bacteria

just…stop. for the love of c’thulu.

2 Likes

oh that I am fully aware of and love those bacteria with every bone in my body. give me all the meats and cheeses.

but they do not use human bodily bacteria and fluids. which to me is just gross.

3 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

Ok i’m done…

4 Likes

I’d eat food made with someone else’s breast milk before I’d ever eat anything made with freakin’ gangrene.

10 Likes

interestingly enough…breast milk bothers me naught.

It’s no different than drinking other mammal milks…and our bodies are designed to consume it.

to what @Melizmatic said…exactly.

also…I have 3 kids. I’ve had my spouse’s breast milk in my coffee before.

5 Likes

quark-but-why

13 Likes

Don’t blame the scientists. They were just identifying the bacteria that were used in a traditional recipe.

ETA: It’s not like this bread was made by rubbing the flour on someone’s rotting toes. The bacteria gets into the dough from the environment. Not much better, but still.

2 Likes

sick

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve had that.

But… without the bread part.

4 Likes

…and serves you right.

6 Likes

3 Likes

/pantomime voice: Oh yes they do!

Seriously, the same bacteria that give various cheeses their distinct flavor are also found on, say, human feet (also giving feet their distinct aroma), and fecal bacteria are used as well, for example, in salami, buttermilk, yogurt, etc. (And yes, sometimes they actually use strains isolated from human feces.) The line between “bacteria that are necessary parts of food processes” and “bacteria from the human body” is a very blurry one that encompasses a lot of micro-organisms.

2 Likes

Were you out of cream?
*lolz

(Sorry, I had to.)

4 Likes

But gangrene is just bacteria that normally aren’t inside your body. I.e. bacteria that are in your environment doing other things (like rising bread) normally. Most food-related bacteria aren’t going to be doing you any favors if you got them in a wound.

Yeah, I only draw the line at whale milk. It’s super-high in fat, and no doubt tastes very strongly of fish. Actually, I take that back - it might be fine used in some sort of seafood pasta or risotto dish, maybe.

3 Likes

My gym shoes smell exactly the same as sourdough starter. I’d imagine there’s some similar lactobacillus strains going on.

(edit)

Thing is, they’re sourcing their leavening bacteria from the environment. It’s not like they’re unwrapping Pappy’s gangrenous stump and soaking it in starter. In the former case, the bacteria are clean, and in the Pappy’s stump case, although the bacteria are the same, they’re coated in Pappy’s vital essence which is just gross.

(edit)

And dammit, that’s why we should have never let Pappy use his chainsaw after he’d been drinking all day.

3 Likes

Though you are correct, it still doesn’t matter in the slightest to my taste buds;

3 Likes

Yumville!

No! Do not play w/ pathogens & bacteria.

4 Likes

for other delicacies–

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2015/the-secret-life-of-cheese/

1 Like