Bread can be made from a gangrenous wound's bacteria

More specifically while it is similar or same strains IT IS NOT CULTIVATED AND COLLECTED OFF HUMANS.

Not the damn same thing.

Nope. We both just sort of looked at our coffees and said “eh. Don’t knock it til you try it” and gave it a go.

1 Like

Seconded.

2 Likes

The bread bacteria isn’t. These other foods? Yes, they are. Like I said, some foods are literally cultured using bacteria that came from human poop. So yeah, not the same thing - the foods you eat are worse.

I don’t think any of us want to see what a human foot would look like with some cheese bacteria in there either…

4 Likes

No food I’ve ever had has been so. Half my time is spent as a chef. Nothing I’ve ever sourced has said “cultivated from humans”

2 Likes

Not mad at ya; I tasted my own breast milk out of curiosity, back when I was nursing.

And while I realize that the bread made from gangrenous bacteria isn’t actually scraped off someone’s festering foot wound, it still brings to mind very unappetizing images.

The very word ‘gangrene’ has severely negative psychological connotations, and that alone is enough to make me say:

5 Likes

Agreed. Plus. Ill DM the comment. Because this isn’t a safe space.

There is an AMV that took various clips from that episode and matched it with Weird Al’s “Livin’ in the Fridge”. The ending of it is… hilarious.

1 Like
3 Likes

Cheese on toast. Yum.

(looks for nearest receptacle to vomit into)

2 Likes

But how does it taste?

I saw that before, on this site somewhere.

1 Like

I know, it was relevant so i had to :slight_smile: Think they’ve posted about it at least twice (when the last one was stolen and then when someone recently donated a new toe)

1 Like

That’s only because it’s been in use in cooking long enough. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, which is widely used in various cultured dairy (and meat) products, was isolated from human feces in the '80s. A lot of “pro-biotic” products have that origin.
More traditional bacteria used in food (e.g. cheese strains) could have originally come from human beings, though it was long enough ago that cause/effect is hard to pin down (they also could just have come from the bodies of the goats/cows/sheep that provided the milk, etc. and transferred to humans as a result of dairy consumption.)

So these foods have more direct “cultivated from humans” origins than this bread bacteria - which is simply a soil bacteria found in the environment which happens to be a pathogen when it gets into wounds.

2 Likes

It’s so sour! Very soury! It’s the sourest!

1 Like

Come on people, food is weird. Get over it.

3 Likes

You eat one…

I’m an ER nurse. The amount of human bacteria and dried flesh I’ve injested or inhaled is truly disturbing.

Regardless, we are crawling with bacteria in all sort of revolting ways.

Most recently I had a patient diagnosed with c diff who 10 minutes later conveniently shit all over my shoes.

So…I probably have already eaten it, without any convenient cooking or fermenting.

4 Likes

Stinky tofu anyone? I was trying to find a vid of the ultra traditional way. Think it was 10 year old tofu that was soaked in some chamber set into the ground. Over time the squares of tofu (apart from the smell) grows dark fungus all over it and has the appearance of one of those kitchen sponges with the abrasive on one side - except this looked like it was made entirely of the abrasive material. Evidently it smells like poo - but was a favorite of Mao.
stinky-tofu-01

1 Like

Man, Steve, Don’t Eat It needs to… well he needs to not eat this stuff, actually.

1 Like