Bread storage alignment chart

I have a ceramic bread box, like these:

https://www.continenta.de/unsere-produkte/kuechenaccessoires-aus-keramik/brottopf-oval-mit-holzdeckel.html
I use a paper bag inside for cut bread, and I’ve put a cotton cloth for the whole bread.

2 Likes

So many missing options. Examples:

• unsliced, cut side down on bread board
  • large ziplock in freezer

Basically all alignments eat commercial sliced bread, I guess, and those of us who don’t are rotated right out of the alignment plane through the fourth dimension.

7 Likes

Wrong.

The stuff depicted is toast. This doesn’t qualify as bread in my book.

It is the pre-cut, spongy, fluffy in-bread cousin (three degrees removed at least) from the plastic-polluted industrial area trailer park. It has no crust to speak of, and even that bit is often blandly abrased, leaving a sad, soggy, white, featureless loaf-like square. It is nothing more than a sad imitation of a long-forgotten proud ancestry.

/rant

8 Likes

I play chaotic neutral all the time and I’ll be damned if this chart isn’t 100% accurate!

‘Neutral Evil’ here, though I’m not really a presliced bread person either.

[ Uh oh… does this make me some sort of hipster??? ]

I don’t understand. None of these pictures show bread.

3 Likes

Told you so.

I don’t want to sound sour-doughish, but I really grind my teeth on the fact that everywhere I travel to in the industrialised world the basic state of bread-baking skills calls for humanitarian intervention. Most people live dreadful breadless lives without even knowing!

Who the hell uses a rubber band on a bread bag? Rubber bands aren’t very durable either.

1 Like

Who buys loaves of bread? Doesn’t it just go off after you’ve used the two slices you actually needed?

I am apparently Chaotic Neutral encased in Lawful Good. My family agrees that this is entirely accurate.

Can’t comment on that. I’ve travelled mostly to English countries, which should have bread but don’t. Asia (the little I’ve seen) doesn’t seem to have a bread tradition, but this excuses them, of course. Netherlands: I don’t really remember, France, where I stayed only a bit, had bakeries and great baguettes, but I didn’t have a lot of time to sample bread.

Our own local bread seems very good, very varied and almost like over-abundance to me, but I’m accustomed to it and, as such, not an objective judge.

I use the twist tie or bag clips that the breads come with and then i freeze the bread. Not sure where that puts me alignment-wise :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Depends on how much you eat and how you store it. And if it’s real bread or toast. A three-to-four person family will easily consume a loaf of bread within a week, long before it has a chance to get stale or get mouldy.

The Iberian peninsula is also not the place have a nice slice. Italy is still on my list, can’t speak for that, but I think there’s a chance. The Balkans, well, they can if they want, but they mostly don’t want to. For some reason, the eastern Mediterranean can do both outstanding and horrible. The Middle East basically invented the stuff, and I am quite certain they can bake great bread - but my impression is that a certain monoculture dominates there. The Caukasus is very interesting, and can do basically everything in matters of bread. Truely great stuff I had there, but also hard-as-rock and bland-as-industrialtoast abominations. East Asia had none to speak of, but I didn’t travel much there.

What’s really, really puzzling me is the English speaking world. You mentioned it: the fuck they care.

Hmm, this says I’m lawful neutral, but I’m more of a neutral good kind of person.

@lava, clothes pin or binder clip is neutral good.

@agies, if your bread box has mold in it you need a new bread box, unless it’s metal (as the best ones are). A metal one you can use sunlight and/or bleach to kill the mold.

@TobinL, @Grey_Devil, the freezer counts as a breadbox with more power.

The point of a breadbox is to keep out rodents and mold spores. Coincidentally, the breadbox also keeps out grey fluffy cats who keep thinking they might possibly like bread, only to discover that they still don’t after tearing through the bag for a nibble.

5 Likes

The bread I bake is stored in a large Tupperware container in the fridge and it’s usually gobbled up within three days. The bread we buy, we reuse the bread tie.

A tupperware container is also a breadbox. But you put it in the fridge, so that’s a breadbox inside a breadbox for ultimate bread boxing power!

1 Like

Within a week? Try within two to three days.

We just switched from a Tupperware style bread box to a metal one, and we try to get a loaf to last a week. Fridge makes it too gross for sandwiches for me. Usually a couple or four slices get eaten hot. Then I use one slice a day during the week for open face lunch sandwiches. Then as it gets stale the last goes to French toast or eggs in a basket. If there is a nub left and it hasn’t molded, it goes to bread crumbs, which I use to make pork chops at least a couple times a month.

My partner gets free lunch at work.

2 Likes