#Brexit pusher Boris Johnson drops his run to be next Prime Minister of Britain

OHHH, you could have just said it’s the UK version of Thanksgiving.

14 Likes

Nothing to do with Brexit. Labour MPs don’t want him out for anything to do with the referendum. Labour support for remain was actually about as strong as SNP support. They just don’t want a left wing leader. Partly because they’re mostly centrists, partly because they don’t think he’s electable.

4 Likes

Well, they did leave the table because they couldn’t stand Turkey.

15 Likes

Ah, I see now. This is the time to have a tempest in a teapot? When your party is running up against nitwits who couldn’t manage their way out of a pair of pants, much less the EU? I get the Corbyn may not be inspiring, but relative to Lucius Malfoy (sorry @daneel, I’m referring to BJ) and all this fumbling I think boring might be fine.

ETA: I just noticed your avatar.

5 Likes

If the English usage is more obvious, does that mean they are both obvious?

1 Like

Yep.

Once again, the left are indulging in a circular firing squad. And it’s all pointless, because when the leadership contest is held, Corbyn will be on the ballot, and given his overwhelming support from members 8 months ago, he’ll just win again.

And then in revenge for forcing this content, there will be attempts to deselect the MPs so that they can’t run again in 2020, maybe a split in the party again (a la 1983), maybe defections to the LDs? (probably not, because they’re too small - although I guess that means that Labour could effectively take control of that party with just 9 defections, and they could get rid of creepy Tim Farron).

It’s all gone to shit, basically. Everything is dysfunctional. There’s no effective opposition to what is a pathetically weak government. Leaving the EU is going to be a slow, painful car crash. And after a few years we’ll want back in, even though the terms will be much worse than what we have now.

Heh. I spent the Corbyn thread talking about the Tories, now I’m using the Tory thread to talk about Labour…

9 Likes

The media (and the Blairites of course) pump out the “unelectable” meme all the time, but if we’ve learnt anything from the chaos of the last few says, sometimes propaganda can backfire, and positions can reverse without warning.

Corbyn has strong grass roots support (admittedly erodible to UKIP and the Greens in some places), and has been lukewarm on Remain. If the term “unelectable” becomes uncontrollably shrill enough, or the Tories bonkers enough, it might just make huge numbers of people think that Labour might just be the anti-establishment moped out of nowhere city (or “Wangland” if Scotland and Northern Ireland stay behind).

As Charlie Brooker says “Corbynite” sounds like the name of a super glue: stays stuck no matter what.

4 Likes

It was quite a stretch. wasn’t it. David cameron has called and lost a referendum on the EU, therefore it’s all Corbyn’s fault.

Of course the right wing of the Labour party has been itching to get rid of Corbyn ever since he cheated his way to becoming leader by the underhanded method of winning 60% of the vote in the leadership election. And the timing also matters, because if the Blairites don’t get their coup in now, the Chilcot report is now finally going to come out and remind the public about the time they were complicit in lying the country into an aggressive war.

8 Likes

Oh yes, Chilcot. Next week?

This is part of why Eagle (and almost everyone else) is a rubbish alternative and Owen Smith wants to run - he at least didn’t vote for war in Iraq (presumably by virtue of not being an MP at the time).

1 Like

6 Likes

When I say the news this morning the first thing that went through my head was:

Brave Boris ran away
Bravely ran away away
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled

Yes, brave Boris turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat

Bravest of the brave, Boris!

(Apologies to Monty Python)

9 Likes

Ironically, Heseltine was undermined by John Major in his bid for party leader the same way Johnson has been undermined by Grove.

Here’s Heseltine, left, behind John Major:

4 Likes

So the Tories in the running for PM are Gove, May, Leadsom, Fox, and Crabb. Shouldn’t there be a Goyle?

6 Likes

Yup.

Because the Blairite scumbags of the PLP are worried that if they don’t sabotage Corbyn now, he might win. They’re willing to hand the next election to the Tories if that’s what it takes to prevent an actual left-of-centre government.

6 Likes

Even in Americanese, “drops his run” wouldn’t mean announces it. You might “drop an announcement” though.

2 Likes
11 Likes

When Theresa May seems like the sanest choice for PM you know things have really gone down the drain.

13 Likes

I’m tempted to buy that Poitin that is 90% alcohol. I don’t care that it will interact with my medication anymore.

1 Like

So, when’s Boris going to drop his next hip hop joint?

"There’s a pretty broad consensus in the UK that Boris is refusing to step on the landmine that Cameron laid on his way out the door "

Which would seem to make the election essentially a second referendum by proxy on the landmine. It will presumably be the #1 campaign issue, and either voters will be supporting a candidate who says he’ll push it, or one who won’t.