Burglar doesn't realize he's being filmed

I agree with your first pararaph. However.

That is very heroic of you. It’s like you ran into the school.

3 Likes

I don’t think the police were wrong to preemptively jump him with force. But they should have been a little more careful with where they were dropping him.

Well, he needs to move to 'Murica then! /S/S/S

All jokes aside, he did have a weapon and he could have wheeled around and clocked anyone approaching him from behind with devastating effect. Better to have him with a bruised heel than a broken skull. The lesser of two evils.

The end justifies the means!

Nothing heroic about it or me. I’m probably less likely than most to confront a fellow intent on doing me harm. But it’s still his right to do so.

That was intentionally snarky BTW.

That would be a really bad idea in the UK. Guns are almost never seen as reasonable force when defending yourself or your property. Basically, if you aren’t being shot at then it’s not reasonable.

5 Likes

My first thought is I would have liked to have seen the police stand back 15 ft or so (with a gun or taser) and tell him to lie on the ground.

Then again, I could see the overall risk to the housebreaker, police, people in house/neighborhood being lower by taking the guy down the way they did rather than risking a standoff, firing weapons, chase through neighborhood etc.

Part of me looks at this thinking “What if they guy is a workman with the wrong address?” Once when I was young and the one man destruction crew of a remodeling company I was sent to the wrong address. I knew the owners weren’t going to be home and the door was supposed to be unlocked. The front door was locked and although I found a sliding door that was open I paused, thought about it and went back to the office to have them double-check the address. (pre-cellphones) I was this close to tearing these poor people’s bathroom out down to the studs and subfloor.

I’m guessing in this case though the photographer called the cops.

BTW Was that his regular crowbar? He wasn’t very good with it.

1 Like

While that does sound delicious, I was thinking more like a boiling oil over the castle walls kind of defense.

Clunky visual clues. Thanks for humoring me.

This is in Scotland. The police there don’t get given guns unless they are part of a armed response unit, and they don’t get sent out to catch burglars.

Tasers are also frowned upon because there have been several cases of people having heart attacks after they have been used on them.

6 Likes

That cop gave no warning and no order… and seemingly came in sneakily to be able to wallop the guy.
I know 'Murica is different… I didn’t realize how far the Judeg Dredd fantasies went…

2 Likes

This was in Scotland.

Yes, I am aware. My “Murica” comment was for all the people here who seem to think the cop did no wrong.

Yeah, I get that. As I said after I thought about it the overall risk for everyone is probably lower with a quick and dirty takedown.

That would only make sense If you somehow knew the commenters here were all 'Muricans.

Sharp rap just for thinking his dark, ninja clothing would benefit him in the daylight.

1 Like

Seems surprising that he takes so long to get through that door. I’ve heard that burglars avoid breaking glass because the sound is much more alerting than lots of prying and forcing. But he already broke the glass and he’s continuing with his marathon. Because drugs I suppose.

JMHO, things happened very quickly and the guy may have still had the crowbar in his hand when the throw-down cop came around the corner. He’s very lucky; in the US, a held crowbar (or pretty much anything) would have resulted in being shot over, and over, and over again.

1 Like

I know a lot of them are. (Been here a mite longer than you. :wink: nice to meet you.)

3 Likes

I was briefly confused by how we’d managed to join on the exact same day, then I remembered that this was when the underlying forum solution changed, and all the old accounts got rolled over.

2 Likes