Video: Cop in Seattle pins man down with his knee on neck. His partner doesn't like it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/01/video-cop-in-seattle-pins-man.html

9 Likes

thank you for posting this, I saw this clip on TV news last night and thought I imagined it!

19 Likes

Normalizing this shit…

12 Likes

5 Likes

The first thing to do when you realize you’ve dug yourself into a hole, is to stop digging.

Of course, you have to realize you’ve dug yourself into a hole in the first place…

28 Likes

I was glad to hear the cops getting screamed at for this, and that it was being filmed. That’s what needs to be done every time from now on.

Add to my personal wish list: mandatory cop cams that can’t be shut off, and if covered – or “malfunctioning” – during the time of suspected abuse, immediate termination, no rehire. They can go be private security guards if they’re unable “serve and protect” the public. Since that’s the job.

(I know, that’s not the real job…)

25 Likes

Gonna get so much use out of this image :disappointed:

26 Likes

I’m no scholar of police training, but I can only assume that this is standard takedown procedure by the number of times I’ve seen it used. There is nothing new about this. I assume it is the normal.

It obviously requires some skill and judgement to use.

2 Likes

No, if you’re that stupid just ask the people at the top to start throwing dirt in so you can get out.

Lots of dirt.

6 Likes

“If you wear a badge and you don’t have an issue with this… turn it in,” --Chief David Roddy, Chattanooga TN

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/regional/chattanooga-police-chief-on-george-floyd-death-officers-who-dont-see-an-issue-should-quit/51-c73d88a0-a000-46d1-87d7-d71f40697c3d

25 Likes

here are thoughts on that from a lawyer and former police instructor:

8 Likes

Cops nationwide need to unlearn this technique faster.

8 Likes

Good. I was surprised and relieved to see a similar response from the Southern California police union: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-29/california-police-condemn-actions-of-minnesota-officer-who-knelt-on-george-floyds-neck

4 Likes

It’s hard for me to tell if police chiefs/groups like this really have a sense of decency and duty, or if they’re just trying to play like they’re on the public’s side to calm everyone down.

12 Likes

Whether or not they’re terminated from employment, a “malfunctioning” or shut off camera should count against any legal case having anything to do with that cop’s testimony. Only liars need to truen their cameras off, and the court needs to acknowledge that.

9 Likes

The key word there being “should.” Per the other bb article, not a lot counts against cops:

They are at the protests with their names on their badges covered. Should that be tolerated? If they aren’t expecting to get up to some heinous shit at the protests, why take that step to further anonymize themselves? Because they want to do what they want to do and they don’t want to be held accountable.

16 Likes

On a positive note,

8 Likes

The police instinct to do the absolutely wrong thing is so strong it takes a lot to overcome it, apparently.

It’s not legal or approved, but apparently it is “normal.” Particularly in Minneapolis, it turns out:

11 Likes

more of this please.

3 Likes
11 Likes