Can somebody write a web page filter that replaces 'Muslim' with 'Jew' to make the wingnuts look like Nazis?

Yeah you’d figure what with everyone being all “tolerant” and whatnot and in the US anyway where Jews have achieved the status of Whiteness it wouldn’t be like that. But it is. Side note though, last time me and the wife were in the South we only had one issue where a little kid came up to us as she was picking out a hat and told us with a smile that “you killed Jesus. Thats bad”. Cute kid, but who taught him that?

As for the possible “mainsplaining” I didnt read it that way but I appreciate your kind words in any case.

@William_Holz chill man, I’m not asking you to force anyone to come over here, but if they want, I’d be interested in hearing why other Jews think this is at all a good idea. As for doubling down or acting offended, again, chill. My very life offends some people and the music and other works I’ve done in my life certainly offended others. I’m too old for the precious snowflake thing of demanding no one offends me. But ya know what? You don’t know what its like to live as one of us, you really don’t. Its not that I would “forbid” you to do something like this, I asked you nicely at first not to and explained a bit why. Theres a difference.

2 Likes

I totally don’t. That’s why the idea didn’t occur to me until ‘one of you’ (which obviously is not a coherent group and should not me) pointed it out.

What I’m annoyed by is you acting like you’re representing them, and then implying that I was somehow not sensitive or oblivious. Sure, I’m not terribly PC in general, but I’m also not going to tread a bunch of made-up minefields. I’m not the one who said

That was you. That’s what I find annoying, creating drama where none needed to exist.

The top target of hate crimes in the U.S. is, unsurprisingly, black people.

This topic is already winning some kind of white-privilege mansplaining Godwin award.

there should be an emoji here of Sea Lion Hitler wearing a fedora

4 Likes

Be annoyed. Be all the annoyed you want, it still creeps me out when my people get used as a proxy.

1 Like

Proxy for what? It was satire. Just because you are in a joke doesn’t mean you’re the butt of it. “A Jew, a Muslim and Donald Trump walk into a bar…”

1 Like

Well, I think the ‘Muslim to Jew’ idea came up because the metaphor is by far the closest and the most biting simultaneously. Heck, I wish I could claim the idea now that I’ve had time to let it digest.

And you’re totally right that, at least here in the States (which is where this conversation originated and our insane politicians are the reason the idea came up) we have a lot of other people who have very good reasons to be worried about being assaulted or having their days ruined based on perfectly harmless parts of their being that they have no control over. And yeah, that sucks monkey balls.

You mean when other ‘your people’ bring up the idea of your people being ‘used’ that way and I say ‘Oh! I’ll ask around! I bet there’s a way’ (and @LDoBe already gave us the answer to that one in the first post!)

Go ahead and be all creeped out because of weird things you make up in your head. I completely fail to respect your right to make up drama.

Here’s a thought:

What if we did the text substitution, but with s/muslims/women ?

That’d probably work out just the same.

(CNN)Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump called Monday for barring women from entering the United States.

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of women entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” a campaign press release said.

Trump, who has previously called for surveillance against Planned Parenthood and said he was open to establishing a database for all women living in the U.S., made his latest controversial call in a news release. His message comes in the wake of a deadly mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, by suspected ISIS sympathizers and the day after President Barack Obama asked the country not to “turn against one another” out of fear.

Trump’s comments are likely to roil the Republican presidential race, forcing many of his opponents for the nomination to engage in a debate over whether there should be a gender test to enter America. But his proposal was met with enthusiasm by many of his supporters, who showed their approval via social media as well as at his rally on Monday night.

Oh, great, are you trying to pull in more troublemakers? :wink:

I’m actually of the agreement that the Muslim/Jewish bit is the best parallel for a number of reasons…not only because of the Nazi parallel (we could use homosexuals or Gypsies there too! (and before anybody starts there… Gypsies are MY peeps so shut up)) but also because there’s the ‘religion associated with a slightly different appearance that doesn’t necessarily and shouldn’t overlap’ bit. That makes it an amazingly tight metaphor and the most biting, methinks.

Anyway, I already set the boys and girl loose with the links you sent me. They were having fun with it last I heard, though one of them was trying to put it on an admin’s computer changing all kinds of words into ‘smurfy’.

I just get to watch/smurf!

1 Like

Very Existential.

So basically you, and Stephen Fry, are saying that Muslims should just get over it.

If it’s one Muslim in a place that’s generally safe for Muslims getting all offended because I tried to do a favor for three other Muslims who were trying to help the Jews who were being unfairly maligned while somebody was riling up maniacs against them, then yup!

But if it’s something that’s actually likely to incite people into harming them or encourages some kind of stereotype that’s already problematic, then of course not. They should also be genuinely concerned, at which point taking offense is kind of an afterthought, right?

Edit: Hmm, is that the boundary right there? That or when offense is actually intended?

2 Likes

or when no offense is not intended?

5 Likes

Or when not offending is not not intended to not be inoffensive?

Hmm, I think I’ll stick with my first answer