Can we hide the system update to linked images?

I keep wasting tiny hits of social-interaction-substitute endorphins on those automatic alerts, which is doubly sad. #foreveralone

If dear old system can be trusted to fix our image hotlinks promptly and without fail every time, are those notifications really necessary? Should this not be a silent thing by default? Discuss.

Continuing the discussion from BB BBS Comment BINGO:

10 Likes

Even blocking notifications from @system doesnā€™t help with this.

1 Like

I donā€™t think these notifications serve a purpose either, I could do without them.

3 Likes

Other than allowing a person to see which URLs get transmogrified into beautifully formatted and framed imagey-links, Iā€™m a big fan of getting rid of that notification.

2 Likes

Ok I turned on this setting:

Disables edit notifications by the system user when ā€˜download_remote_images_to_localā€™ is active.

That should turn off the edit notifications. (Are you posting a lot of remote hotlinked images every day? Why is this suddenly a problem?)

3 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ll let you know if it returns.

I guess I am, sometimes. I just counted 20 notifications in the last twelve hours, five of them pencil-@system ones. Iā€™m probably more of a visual reference and punchline sharing type than average, and just copy-pasting the url from somewhere is a few steps more convenient than downloading an image just to upload it.

Not suddenly a problem, just a small enough annoyance that I keep forgetting so it keeps tripping me up. Glad to see others notice it too so I donā€™t look too much like a crazy pet peever.

2 Likes

Mindysan has been subtlety nudging us to upload more animated gifs.

Wait, subtlety? Basically daring us.

5 Likes

Not every day, but often enough.

2 Likes

Just above average, but the baselineā€™s pretty high around here, so thereā€™s that. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

thank you for disabling, but cā€™mon, man, itā€™s not ā€œsuddenlyā€ and you know it:

March 29

your reply

That had to do with us moving things around artificially such that ALL images had to be redownloaded. That is what I meant by ā€œmoving to a new containerā€. Before that BB shared space with other sites.

the whole thread was about the notifications all happening at once in a batch, but you were replying to this specific post which said:

I guess the ā€œbestā€ way to act here is to allow users to opt-out of this
type of notification after they get the first one. EG: ā€œI
understand all my hotlinked images will be downloaded locally donā€™t
bother me anymore with this ā€

which I thought is what we were talking about now.

you see it a different way, I guess.

It is turned off system wide now. So imagine that setting, but for everyone, with a single button push.

1 Like

But, @system was my invisible girlfriend!

6 Likes

Yours?! That two-timing bitch!

6 Likes