Can you give me 24 hours to get my s*** back together? Seriously, can't I just rage for a day or so?

I swear to FSM it was actually closer to Cirque de Soleil, but with booze.

My wife was jealous she didn’t go.

7 Likes

Here I am feeling overly self indulgent, and about to thank everyone and ask that the thread be shut down, and then you go and do that…

3 Likes

Did you know my town has not one, but 2 different insitutions that teach circus arts?

6 Likes

Doing something unexpected, for me, calms my inner hulk. Especially when it is incongruous. (Yes, I was fully tweeded up in a room of PVC/leather clad people. I really, really wanted to take pictures, and I’m sure people took pictures of me :D)

3 Likes

#Are you trying to

• give me an anyerism anuerism aneurysm
  • make me angry
  • you won’t like me when I’m angry
  • provoke me into a pique of thread-starting
  • write a letter? Would you like some help?
0 voters
1 Like

Atlanta? Sarasota? Philadelphia? Seattle?

2 Likes

Didn’t I say land-locked up-thread? I expect better retention from you.

1 Like

Are any of them floating cities or islands?

Baraboo?

1 Like

Draw a line between your town and where @monkeyoh lives and you’re likely to hit it about half way. (See also: just west of Kansas.)

ETA: Wow. I just stumbled into that sandyhook thread. Yeah. I’m off for sushi. Talk with you kids later, and thanks again for the support.

7 Likes

Just realized I’m probably not raging enough. Let me pose this question. When you provide a service such as network security, and you feel everyone is deserving of the same treatment, is there still a line in the sand that you shouldn’t cross, when you find out about a company’s past actions?

(You know, totally F’n hypothetical.)

1 Like

Of course there are lines in the sand, no matter what the issue.

If it’s that bad, I can see one absolutely ethical option, and one dubiously ethical option.

The absolutely ethical option is to give them notice, assist them to find a replacement, and get the hell out of there ASAP. If a hypothetical person can’t live with providing services to them after what they’ve done, there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving at the first possible opportunity.

More dubious is the idea of acting as a whistleblower. If people really need to know what these people did, then a hypothetical person might feel compelled to tell them. Be warned, though, if a hypothetical security consultant is exposed as the source of the leak (and, as the guy in charge of network security, even if that person is not the source of the leak, they would still be the one responsible for not preventing it) their career as a security consultant is probably toast. No one wants to hire a security consultant who leaks information, especially deliberately.

3 Likes

I like the way you framed all of that, but I honestly haven’t even walked in the door yet. It looks like it’s going to be an awkward conversation at best though.

1 Like

As you’ve probably gathered I’m a netsec frood as well.

Document, document, document. And not on your device, on their systems. Email, SharePoint, bugzilla, remedy, etc. Make an obvious, unemotional paper trail.

Then, one at a time, run it up management. And document what happens (line of business manager said this is a p3. I disagree, so emailing senior director).

Unless this is snowden level shit, play exactly by the book. And even if it is snowden level, then… well I have no advice.

And if there is anything criminal going on, report it to relevant ethics officers. If they ignore, then report to LEO.

6 Likes

A day of yelling
#FUCK
at inanimate objects and pets.

Sure.

9 Likes

And seriously, no details. I know I asked how you were doing and what was wrong, but details are now rescinded :smile:

Happy to give general ethics or incident handling advice. But I don’t want a fuckin’ hint of a name or IP.

5 Likes

No worries. I’ve already said more than I planned on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know you know what to do. Doing it can be, as you said, uncomfortable.

Story time: one day I screwed up. A minor incident, but still an incident, and it was my fault (not the DNS fiasco :D). A friend of mine had to be tasked to give me ‘the talk’. We both squirmed for a solid half hour.

4 Likes

Why did I read that sentence at first with a “with” in it? (Then I thought, he had to go all the way to Canada to do that?)

4 Likes

I spent a year in Australia and craved Mexican food constantly. One day I saw Jalapeño peppers in the supermarket and decided to cook up some tacos for dinner.

The cashier didn’t know what to make of the peppers and couldn’t find them in her price list after I explained what they were (“ha-la-payn-yos”). When she called her manager over he took one look and said “oh, those are ja-la-pen-os.”

That was probably the moment I felt most homesick for California.

10 Likes

I had a couple of friends that moved to Switzerland around 1995. They had epic tales about trying to find proper ingredients to make tacos.

2 Likes