Candace Owens pivots to paleontology, calls dinosaurs "absurd"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/06/candace-owens-pivots-to-paleontology-calls-dinosaurs-absurd.html

8 Likes

There’s no stupid like openly stupid.

32 Likes

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Season 5 Shut Up GIF by Friends

19 Likes

I mean the big long necky ones are absurd but only in the way a goose is absurd.
dinosaur brontosaurus GIF by gifnews

21 Likes

This is a painstakingly crafted message. Perfectly plausibly deniable. If you read it on Tumblr, you wouldn’t think twice about it, because it could be one of those “It just hit me how absurd this everyday thing is” observations. Of course the real meaning is a dog whistle towards creationists, but this reinforces my belief that Candace Owens is on the grift side of the far right spectrum from grifter to full believer who would gladly ruin their life for their conspiracy theories (the Mike Lindell side of the spectrum).

24 Likes

There is no meaningful difference between a right-wing grifter and a straight-up fascist.

33 Likes

Not in practice, no

7 Likes

I don’t know why so many people assume the dinosaurs spent all their time “roaming” the earth. There were probably just as many layabouts and homebodies back then as there are today.

37 Likes

Right. I mean, she’s not saying she doesn’t believe there were dinosaurs. And actually, dinosaurs did not completely die off after the meteor strike. The biggest ones became extinct, leaving small ones to evolve into birds.

11 Likes

I grew up in a little village in the 'Shire where, in the late 1700s, the first dinosaur ever to be given a name (Megalosaurus) was discovered. At the time, I expect plenty of people thought it was absurd, too. And yes, in those early days, the ideas were new and not too accurately formed.

But goodness me, our collective understanding has come on a bit since then, eh? Refining those ideas to improve them over time, as more evidence becomes available… what a brilliant way to improve our knowledge! Or yeah, I guess you could just sort of reckon stuff.

21 Likes

giphy

13 Likes

I mean…birds aren’t real, and birds are dinosaurs, so yeah…it stands to reason that dinosaurs aren’t real either. #impeccablelogic

28 Likes

One group of small ones had evolved into birds by around 90 million years prior, and they were common during the Cretaceous. Everything else went extinct all at once, actually including a number of groups of birds too. It was a sudden catastrophe without much chance for things to adapt.

16 Likes

“And don’t get me started on any of Einstein’s theories. Matter and energy are interchangeable? Ridiculous! It defies common sense!”

14 Likes

I think that’s exactly the implication, yeah… Why would you give her the benefit of the doubt here, when she regularly embraces conspiracy theories that contradict basic science… :woman_shrugging: She’s signaling that she does not believe in the scientific consensus here…

No, but Birbs ARE real!

birds perfect loops GIF

22 Likes
  1. Birds aren’t real.
  2. Birds came from dinosaurs.
    Therefore…
  3. Dinosaurs weren’t real.
    QED

ETA Damn, @danimagoo snuck in there while I was formulating my hypothesis.

14 Likes

The older I get the more absurd the concept of “caring fuck-all about things Candice Owens says” becomes to me.

38 Likes

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

16 Likes
12 Likes

At this point, young Earth creationism dumbfuckery seems almost quaint.

11 Likes