Candidate for Michigan Gov. says the "bible should be the basic textbook" in schools — then gets stumped

Imagine if the majority of the Founding Fathers were Quaker – we wouldn’t be allowed to go to war, or forced to swear on the Bible in court – or Seventh Day Adventists – no blood transfusions allowed – or Mormon – polygamy and required tithing.

Mainstream Protestants don’t realize how much diversity there is just within their own religion.

20 Likes

Oh, that’s easy: the correct denomination of Protestant Evangelical Charismatic Millenialist Quiverfull Prosperity Christianity.

5 Likes

This question is rhetorical, but how do these interviewees not know they’re being trolled?

8 Likes

I’d say it’s mostly the white evangelicals who don’t realize that. The mainline denominations tend not to be so much up their own assholes.

15 Likes

They think they are always the smartest person in the room.

[Narrator: they are not.]

12 Likes

Hopefully they will try to out-whackadoodle each other in the primary and their opponent can just play back their most extreme statements in the general election. They have to win over the Trumpkins to win the primary, but they will keep home a lot of moderates with that toxic shit.

9 Likes

They’re even dumber than they think the “libs” are.

10 Likes

Getting the Bible back in school the way the founding fathers intended? Really?
These founding fathers?

It always blows my mind to see Baptists want to tear down that wall, given they owe the existence and popularity of their religion in the US precisely to that separation. It’s like they have no idea of their own history…

23 Likes

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

10 Likes

If anything, the rebellion of the US was founded against Christian principles by rejecting the current authority, the King, who ruled by right of God.

Romans 13 says that you must submit to the government authorities (Paul, oh how very unlike Jesus you are…):

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted

Edit: this also applies to the Jan 6th insurrectionists :thinking:

8 Likes

To quote Emo Philips:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!” He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”

He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?” He said, “A Christian.” I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me, too! What franchise?” He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?” He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”

He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said, “Me, too!”

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.” I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.

23 Likes

It’s more widespread than anyone wants to imagine…

6 Likes

Spiffy. Michael Markey Jr. is the least comically stupid of the lot you highlight. That August ballot is gonna take me a while to fill out. I might need to photocopy it and paste the copy on our dartboard. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A note to tinfoil hat guy - SARS-CoV-2 is COVID-19, ya dumbass.

@DukeTrout: It’ll take more than lack of enthusiasm to keep “conservatives” from voting. We all received no-reason absentee ballot applications in 2020. Sure, some percentage of people filled in the box for “this election only”, but a lot more filled in the "every* election box…

10 Likes

They still have to make it all the way to their mailbox through the November snow without suffering a coronary…

7 Likes

If their intellects were dynamite they would have enough to blow their noses. /s

4 Likes

If only it were that easy. I’m not sure if she’s planning on running again, but our current governor is Gretchen Whitmer. She has such a large target on her back that there was a kidnapping plot against her. It’s likely none of the men involved are going to prison for it. Despite conservatives downplaying the threat of COVID, they’re holding her solely responsible for nursing home deaths at the beginning of the pandemic. There’s also the fact that Biden has praised her and there were rumors of her being selected as his VP or receiving some other appointment.

There’s a real hate-on for her that makes me fear that a whackadoodle has a good chance against her. I mean, I’ve already seen that happen on a national level.

10 Likes

The fact of the matter is that the strongest groups within political Christiandom are pretty much homogenous with respect to each other. The odd ones out are usually Catholics and Jews which I suspect they’d love to see them marginalized once again like they were pre-WW2/Holocaust. So I expect them to start making noise on that front soon in terms of mainstream politicians questioning their ‘loyalty’.

6 Likes

The ones pushing for a theocratic state are a vocal minority within Christianity, I’d argue. They keep saying that they speak for all Christians, but it’s just not the case, which you can see even anecdotally. They just don’t speak for the whole, as much as they believe that they do.

Of course that’s one of their goals and I suspect that deep down, conservative Catholics and Jews who align with them know what will happen if they get their way.

12 Likes

10 Republicans file petitions to run for Michigan governor | WXYZ Detroit

Ten Republicans have filed petitions to run for governor by the deadline, a record number in recent history, creating a huge field for a primary electorate that will decide who challenges Democrat Gretchen Whitmer. …

… The lineup for the August primary may shrink if election officials find problems with signatures that were submitted.

They can be flagged by rivals who must file challenges by April 26. As of now, however, the field dwarfs past ones.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’re a Michigan voter, you should know already that Whitmer is absolutely running in November and there was never really a question if she was. Her campaign fund is way ahead of the republican primary candidates.

Her opponent is likely former Detroit Police Chief James Craig and the last poll I saw Whitmer is a few points ahead.

I’ve often wondered how democrats could affect the opponent by running a campaign for democrats to vote for the least qualified under funded republican candidate in the primary. Michigan has a closed primary so if there is really no reason to vote for democrats in the primary it might throw a monkey wrench in the republican plans to screw with their primary.

It’s possible that whoever wins the primary will alienate republicans who voted for the other candidates causing them to stay home or not vote for either candidate. Right now I’m pretty sure, kind of sure, well maybe not positive, but I think Whitmer eeks this one out.

Of course the wild card is if the last guy endorses any of the republicans, that could change everything because Michigan still has the last guy signs and shrines on almost every corner.

7 Likes