Cesar Sayoc Jr., Florida man, arrested in pipe bomb case; van with 'right wing paraphernalia' seized

And it doesn’t run on ethanol.

7 Likes

Unfortunately vans with that amount of crazy aren’t uncommon enough to really cut down the suspect pool far enough.

2 Likes

As a general aspiration, I try to be skeptical when encountering news or science reports that conform to my expectations. Just to compensate for confirmation bias, which is reducing my normal level of caution. Which is not to advocate rejecting evidence because it fits in with expectations… that would be silly, and contrary to the Word of Bayes.

If, hypothetically, someone were determined to deny some piece of evidence, there are two strategies which cover everything: (1) It’s extremely unlikely; and (2) It is extremely convenient, and therefore engineered.

1 Like

i keep seeing MagaBomber defenders saying “those stickers are brand new looking…:thinking:” – and it makes me want to scream. they are INSANE.

11 Likes

No, they are just desperate to find a narrative which supports the skewed belief that ‘one of theirs’ isn’t an obvious “bad guy,” clearly motivated by 45’s perpetual hate rhetoric.

18 Likes

and we found more voter fraud…it’s a Republican again.

" It’s not clear how Sayoc got registered in Florida, despite an extensive criminal history, including assault, and a previous bomb threat to which he pleaded guilty. The bomb threat, made in 2002, was a felony, which should have kept Sayoc from voting under Florida’s restrictive laws."

29 Likes

Because “Some nutcase listened to the same stuff I do and went crazy.” is not sufficient. They HAVE to be the victim of a liberal conspiracy some how, some way, no matter how fanciful the explanation.

6 Likes

Or cough syrup.

4 Likes

I hope the MAGAvan gets displayed next to the Kazinski shed at the Newseum.

10 Likes

I’m not comfortable autmatically classifying Sayoc as a ‘nutcase’ as I’m not a psychartrist, or in any position to make that assessment.

It could be as simple as ‘he’s just really stupid and evil.

11 Likes

At trump’s Inauguration.

21 Likes

In a rational world, “stupid and evil” would qualify as “nuts” but in our current world, it has become an acceptable state for certain… varieties… of political thought.

4 Likes

For further reading:

Szlemko, W.J., Benfield, J.A., Bell, P.A., Deffenbacher, J.L., Troup, L. (2008). Territorial Markings as a Predictor of Driver Aggression and Road Rage. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38(6), 1664-1688. DOI: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2008.00364.x

3 Likes

can’t it be both things? because that works for me.

2 Likes

My question is what image Fox News will use with such lovely selections of him supporting Trump available.

4 Likes

I predict they will ignore it completely.

5 Likes

No, because again we’re not actually qualified to make such assessments, especially in a world that was actually rational and just.

When I use the word ‘evil,’ I’m not making a spiritual judgement based on any personal religious beliefs; I’m talking about a total failing of that person’s humanity and a lack of good core values.

No, because it leads to arbitrarily villifying regular people with mental health issues in general, and that’s not “okay.”

I think you may need to revisit the site terms and conditions:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/mod-policy-on-mental-illness/129091/42

*Edited for typos, and because my spellcheck seems to be ‘on vacation.’

7 Likes

[CURRENT PHOTO NOT AVAILABLE]

4 Likes

[source: https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/10/1862/1048/Cesat-7.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

Color me surprised. Guess they’re trying to get out ahead of the freight train with the crazy train.

10 Likes

Trump did think his inauguration numbers were booming.

11 Likes