Charity roast trainwreck: Donald Trump booed at Catholic dinner

Does anyone know who that guy is?

1 Like

Here he is with the popular lady. Who is apparently from Fox News.

1 Like

I thought the “it takes a village” line was pretty good.

I don’t mind seeing the candidates dress up for a fancy formal event. After all, they are vying for one of the most elite jobs in the world. Whoever wins will attend galas and sit-down meetings with Nobel laureates and world leaders and royalty and captains of industry and the Pope. The fanciest accommodations available at many exclusive hotels are literally called “the Presidential Suite.”

It’s great to have a President who is comfortable at a barbecue but they should ALSO be comfortable in settings like this one.

10 Likes

Love that photo. It illustrates a major reason people love JFK: he understood exactly what he could get away with in terms of style that worked for him. He knew he looked more youthful in standard black-tie, knew it would annoy Nixon, knew that it would set him off from what even in 1960 would look like a bunch of fuddy-duddies at the dinner. He also knew that Cardinal Spellman wouldn’t dare take him to task for flouting the dress code, especially at a dinner named after Al Smith.

10 Likes

I don’t mind a President wearing white-tie in foreign settings, either. Those are places where there are still monarchs and aristocrats and “princes of the Church” who care about such Old World formalities. The Al Smith Dinner, in contrast, has basically been a domestic campaign event since 1960.

2 Likes

The guy standing between them is also not in white tie.

2 Likes

Anathema sit! Anathema sit!
Yup…you’re right.

5 Likes

Anathema, sit!

Good dog.

7 Likes

I’ve always heard that men’s hats went out of fashion in the early 60s because JFK never liked to wear hats. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it wouldn’t surprise me terribly if it were.

4 Likes

There was a tendency at the time, which still exists, to wear wing collars with black tie (and use clip on black ties…urrgh, OK for musicians I suppose.) Kennedy wore a normal collar. As black tie is supposed to be informal (yes…) it should be worn with a normal shirt, which means a fold down collar nowadays. Technically I believe formal evening dress is white tie and decorations, which in Trump’s case would presumably be a big, tasteful Trump sign in gold round his neck.
Nowadays we don’t need all of this because our outer clothes are, basically, cars.

1 Like

6 Likes

Mine is totally threadbare, and there’s no way it would work even if I could get back to my college weight.

The funny thing is, I’m tall and thin compared to the average person, but teenager gangly is a different category altogether. I’m not in that category, I don’t think I ever will be in that category again, and I don’t think the look would suit me if I were.

Certainly not a funereal black suit. Heavy wool, thick texture, completely matte appearance. I would wear it if the dress code was black tie or GTFO and it was the bare minimum that qualified as black tie. I know, the people who wear black tie on a regular basis would be gagging on their amontillado with outrage, but it would get me through the door… I hope? :confused:

I choose the bowtie then. I’m thin enough where I can wear one and not look like a gorilla in a suit, and it shows that I’m the type of person who knows how to tie a bowtie :grinning:

2 Likes

Aww, maaaan, that was entertaining right up to McCain’s mentioning Christ Matthews. I’d like to get his take on this election. :cry:

EDIT: Consider me clarified: Tim Russert was on my mind, not…whoever “Christ Matthews” is…

But he is wearing a cape, which qualifies as “dinner dress.”

8 Likes

I used to like putting on a tie every day. “What, I gotta have a reason?” That was 20 years ago; at the time Gap still sold neckties. These days I feel like I’m dressed up if my jeans aren’t blue and my shirt has buttons. (Which is how I’m usually dressed.)

4 Likes

13 Likes

“That cleavage in the red dress” has a name, Donald.
Her name is Alicia Machado Maria Bartiromo.

3 Likes

Thanx for that.

4 Likes

I think I remember that from 60 Minutes. JFK didn’t wear one to his inauguration and the trend all but ended. I’ve since seen counterarguments to this that say men’s hats were already on the decline by then.

4 Likes