Charity roast trainwreck: Donald Trump booed at Catholic dinner

AKA the completely repugnant anchor on Fox Business. No, the really egregious one. No, not that one, the other one.

I wonder if TV had something to do with it. A hat brim casts a shadow on the face. A photo op can compensate for that – stand facing a different way, look up instead of down, etc. – but once we were live filming the entire swearing-in ceremony for TV news, I could see how someone who was very keyed in to being photogenic on TV would decide to just keep the hat off.

5 Likes

He didn’t wear a silk top hat to his inauguration, but he wasn’t much of a hat guy to begin with. JFK didn’t start the decline of the hat in the U.S., but his media presence as POTUS put the last nails in the coffin.

2 Likes

I don’t want to admit how much time I just spent looking for a photo of Adam West as Batman showing up at a gala like this in his cape.

7 Likes

Inauguration Day, 1961.

A surprising number of sources take this thing seriously.

13 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

well the penguin is usually dressed for the occasion.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that he hires aesteticians and tailors, but decides not to pay them after all. That’s how he ends up looking so uniquely classy.

6 Likes

His next book: “How To Be A Douchebag, In Public: The Greatest.”

4 Likes

Thanks to Anatole France.

Maria Bartiromo for President!

Goddamn. I realize I’m not first to observe this but the presidency really aged Obama.

8 Likes

McCain…

11 Likes

Kennedy may have finished off hats for men, but they were indeed already on the way out. In the early 50s Stetson was already fighting the trend. They launched a fancy full-page color ad campaign in middle-class and upscale magazines pushing the benefits of head coverings. Amusingly, one of them featured a Mexican peasant wearing his practical sombrero. Somehow I can’t picture Fortune readers being inspired to buy a hat in solidarity with the campesinos.

3 Likes

Next book: “How To Be Classy With Shitty Steaks.”

P.S. I’m selling that joke right now: 1000 bucks. Any takers? We can use paypal.

P.P.S. Job at the Onion? Contract, of course, by joke only. Grand per.

2 Likes

Soon…

1 Like

That’s a small hand for such a tall, glowering man…

P.S. Grip that ill-fitted suit.

7 Likes

Trump could have shown up and said nothing, he’s a complete joke after all. Too bad he’s an unfunny one.

4 Likes

Hill on the Hill, period.

She’ll be a great President.

I’m fully onboard.