Check out BMW's new color-changing car, which can go from white to black in an instant

Originally published at: Check out BMW's new color-changing car, which can go from white to black in an instant | Boing Boing

3 Likes

BMW’s cost of ownership is the highest of all brands (more than 3x the lowest over 10 yrs). It jumps considerably with color changing exterior options, I guarantee it.

Also, I’ll bet anything that modders and hoonigans will come up with a more durable, cheaper and modular version within 5 years. And it will come with a default Monster Energy logo.

8 Likes

You have to choose one for your registration, so this could be a problem when pulled over. You can be fined if it doesn’t match the color listed.

9 Likes

Nothing really extraordinary.
My daughter has managed to change not only the colour here and there, but also the shape, of her car since she got it.

Ah, I now see you mean voluntarily changing colour!

13 Likes

So can I use it as an e-reader?

13 Likes

You will have to sell ads on the surface to pay for the extra maintenance.

9 Likes

Hey, Boss? The getaway car for the next, er, gig? I think I’ve found a winner . . .

12 Likes
7 Likes

Great. Yet another thing that can go wrong on a BMW.

9 Likes

Can it also do a bunnies and duckies pattern? Asking for a friend.
193252753_d542b97e8a

8 Likes

Obligatory song to play while driving this car:

2 Likes

I look forward to the day some manufacturer in the US makes a car the average person can afford to buy new. The wife and I used to go to auto shows and look at the new cars we would eventually own 15 years later when they have over 100 grand on the odometer.

We don’t need no stickin’ color changing car or a built in hot spot or bluetooth locks or etc… The average person needs a reliable vehicle to get them to work to earn money to buy food and live indoors.

5 Likes

Right now, BMW is only showing off the entire surface of the vehicle changing at once, but you could easily imagine the equivalent of e-ink bumper stickers or — because this is the world we live in — full-sized ads on the side of the car.

Dog help us.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Can any technology make that car less ugly?

3 Likes

Yeah, but you only change the color when you’re committing the crime, then change it back immediately after.

2 Likes

My first reaction was to remember the Stainless Steel Rat’s get away car.

4 Likes

Next step: color-changing driver.

4 Likes

Typical BMW - shades of gray and silver qualify as “color.”

2 Likes

I’m having a flashback to the color-changing fabric in the 80s that would show hand prints - I’m wondering if this is temp-sensitive enough to also show handprints (or other prints, heh).

1 Like