Chili's refused to honor Veteran's Day meal deal for black veteran (Update: Chili's apologizes, promises to make it right)

4 Likes

More like “enchickened” - I think racism is rather cowardly. It makes a show of being bold in order to distract from confronting the real problems.

9 Likes

I’m stumped as to why the hell that is a “problem”. Even if it was a likely consequence. Which it isn’t.

10 Likes

Is Chili’s food really that bad?

5 Likes

yes. yes. yes. but then @daneel and I have the good fortune to live in Seattle where there is a plethora of much better options.

5 Likes

It didn’t used to be, but I haven’t eaten there in years.

5 Likes

I don’t know from Chili’s, I mean I know it’s a chain, but I have personally mapped out a route of taquerias so no matter where I go in California I don’t have to ever eat at a chain.

17 Likes

The trubs there is that it’s less about what power drumpf has, which is not inconsiderable, but that the entire US government is stacked with republican wackos at every level now.

And what wouldn’t that whiny man-child give to them to keep that feeling of being in charge of everything?

9 Likes

but I was more talking about what WE as individuals can do to counter the racists asshats he’s unleashed on our daily lives.

And although the elected offices are certainly majority GOP, there are hundreds and hundreds of non-political, non-appointed positions that make up the federal government. At the end of the day, people still have to do the hard work of running the actual government, and many of those positions have nothing to do with political appointments… That doesn’t mean that the current government structure isn’t scary and even perhaps dangerous. Just suggesting that it’s not entirely hopeless, as apocalyptic as it might feel. There are things we can do, including putting pressure on local/state/federal elected officials, supporting political and social organizations dedicated to civil and human rights, and calling out this kind of behavior when we see it in order to show how it is unacceptable.

12 Likes

Thats true about the damage, gracchus, but what’s to stop a psychopath from just parroting the words he learned from the training manual, and then going on to have racist outbursts when he thinks nobody is watching?

1 Like

No. It’s pretty decent fast-casual. Burgers and salads, Tex-Mex fajitas, stuff like that. I’m quite fond of their burgers.

7 Likes

Certain breeds of dog are excluded from being service dogs.

1 Like

Nothing can stop that. It happens more than we know behind the scenes. I’m only talking about the damage he did to brand goodwill when people were watching and the consequences the company should impose on him, quickly and harshly.

2 Likes

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

3 Likes

I agree 100%. If I saw this happening, not only would I protest, but if the manager didn’t back down, I’d say give the man his meal and put it on my tab, and thank the guy for his service and apologize to him that he had to face such discrimination, and file a complaint with chili’s.

Of course the chance of me ever eating at a chilli’s just went from probably never to hell no.

19 Likes

I remember reading an account of someone who was a child during the Allied liberation of Europe near the end of the war. When the tanks rolled into their town no one was sure whether the stars painted on the equipment represented U.S. forces or the Soviet Union. Then a hatch opened and a black soldier stuck his head out to inspect the scene. Everyone in the town immediately cheered in relief because they knew the Soviet Army didn’t have any black Russians (insert drinking joke here).

34 Likes

26 Likes

He did say he fought in Germany so… I would be surprised if Germany had any diversity in their army.

3 Likes

#For every repressed minority there is an equally silent majority.

Not being racist, sexist, classist, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted isn’t enough, one has to vocally stand up for any group that is unfairly oppressed if change is going to happen

21 Likes

My best friend’s uncle – after the war, he came back to Kentucky and wanted to use his GI Bill and had some trouble with the University. If I remember the story right, he had a young family to support, so his mother drove up to Frankfort and asked to speak to the Governor about this. “He’s not available.” “I’ll wait.” She waited in the Governor’s office reception room every day, all day, for two weeks. Sat and read the paper and knit. “I’ll wait.” Didn’t solve the whole problem in Kentucky by any stretch, but eventually the governor met her and she got what he needed. A badass on many fronts.

43 Likes