Chilling video: Georgia Rep handcuffed for knocking on Gov. Kemp's door while he signs voter restriction bill

Really? Michigan is my state, and it’s not in the South:

They’re doing this everywhere; it’s not just a regional problem.

22 Likes

Agreed. Except that last part. Craft breweries and brick oven pizzerias definitely make a neighborhood better!

/s

5 Likes
4 Likes

They’re all states with significant numbers of white supremacists?

12 Likes

simpsons-bus-point-redstates-not-monolith

Also, good to know you’re in favor of people’s voting rights being suppressed. /s

17 Likes

You DO see it though…

Also, from 1981:

It might be more naked and aggressive in the south, but part of that is because we have a larger Black population and the rest of the country acts like we’re the only ones with this problem, and so they feel they can be bolder here.

16 Likes

Well, giving away water means the item’s been purchased by a third party and given away to begin with, adding another layer doesn’t really get around the law.

1 Like

Is Ohio northern enough? We border Canada Ohio House bill would roll back in-person early voting, end statewide mailing of ballot applications for November election - cleveland.com
Maybe we should go up to Michigan with the emergency manager laws kept in place because of arguments over font size. 'Wrong Font Size' Keeps Michigan's 'Shock Doctrine' in Place

Maybe Pennsylvania or New Hampshire? https://www.penncapital-star.com/government-politics/gop-lawmakers-in-28-states-have-introduced-more-than-100-bills-seeking-to-restrict-ballot-access-analysis/

Or maybe the push in Maine to move to signature matching Maine lawmakers seek more than a dozen changes to state election laws

How far north are we talking about?

So your plan to stop the suppression of votes is to codify it and remove any lingering protections for those hurt by the laws? That seems wrong.

7 Likes

hey, you cant even have a state without them. does dc have a pizzeria? i think not!

7 Likes

I’ll admit, I didn’t make that gif. I have nothing against craft breweries and brick oven pizzerias (yum!) I might modify that before I trot it out again.

4 Likes

I think it’s fine, especially if people you’re replying to believe it’s okay to call everyone down here backward hicks.

8 Likes

It still might be a good idea, if only to avoid minor derails about pizza and beer. :wink: :laughing:

4 Likes
13 Likes

I don’t know, it makes the point quite well. It’s supposed to hit you in the sensitive bits.

3 Likes

which is why the revisions of the voting rights act which passed in 1970 and 1975 included counties in new york, california, new hampshire, arizona, and michigan among others.

8 Likes

If you find people calling out pizza and beer rough, imagine being told that the entire place you live in and everyone you live around, no matter what they do, how they vote, how they are being directly impacted by this bill, even after it was YOUR state which swung the senate and one of the states to swing the national election is garbage that can be safely relegated to the trash heap of history, ignored, mocked, and even left in the hands of people whose entire goal is to create a new racial hierarchical state.

10 Likes

This appears to be the relevant part of the law: https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislation/document/20212022/201121

1812 “(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any
1813 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give,
1814 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and
1815 drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any
1816 person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables
1817 or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:
1818 (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is
1819 established;
1820 (2) Within any polling place; or
1821 (3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
1822 These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which
1823 cannot be seen or heard by such electors.”
1824 “(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing
1825 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors
1826 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely
1827 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from
1828 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in
1829 line to vote.”

So if you are 150 feet from the building corner, and 25 feet from the line, give away everything you want. The other interesting point is the last sentence, a poll officer could make available a water fountain, or even water cooler, and allow unattended access to it anywhere in line.

2 Likes

Kemp was sitting under a painting of a slave plantation.

7 Likes
8 Likes

DC has one pizzeria that comes to mind …

3 Likes