Chilling video: Georgia Rep handcuffed for knocking on Gov. Kemp's door while he signs voter restriction bill

So they literally wrote this into the law for some shit that never happened.

The POINT is to give them plausible deniability to arrest people who are giving water or snacks to people standing in long lines in Black majority precincts. There was already a law saying that you could not campaign within so many feet of a polling place. This is pointless. As a citizen of GA, my tax dollars have been wasted in writing up this garbage.

Meme Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

13 Likes

You do know that some 43 states have bills to restrict voting rights right now, right? I’m in WA where we’ve had 100% mail-in voting for decades and there’s a Republican-backed bill right now to go back to in-person voting and require special voter ID cards (separate from other IDs, of course).

13 Likes

Republicans - They’re Everywhere! It’s not just the South. No place is safe!

6 Likes

So your solution is to abandon Representative Cannon and her constituents to white supremacist fascists? How does that make you any better than the people trying to disenfranchise them?

6 Likes

every single law with the stated intent of “protecting voting integrity” and the practical effect of suppressing minority and working class voting over the course of the past 20 years has been premised on shit that either never happened or happened so seldom as to not even be a rounding area.

during the first round of republican voter suppression efforts there were a few republican-led studies of different types of voting fraud that were explicitly intended to find and highlight the need for the different legislative “solutions” that the g.o.p. was proposing. the people combing the records for actual cases of these types of fraud were highly motivated to find them and in the end found that, over the periods of time they were studying, fewer than 0.00005% of votes cast, something like 17 out of 300,000,000 votes, actually fit the description. it came as no surprise at all that these studies which began with much hoopla and fanfare were announced with a whisper at their conclusion.

13 Likes

Looks like the selling of bottled water or pizza slices at a steep discount could still be viable.

4 Likes

17 Likes

dany-this

11 Likes

The thinest whisps of pretexts are used to justify electoral theft on a massive scale.

The majority-white Hancock County Board of Elections and Registration was systematically questioning the registrations of more than 180 black Sparta citizens — a fifth of the city’s registered voters — by dispatching deputies with summonses commanding them to appear in person to prove their residence or lose their voting rights. “When I read that letter, I was kind of nervous,” Mr. Flournoy said in an interview. “I didn’t know what to do.”

8 Likes

The scariest thing about the signing of this detestable bill was the arrest of Rep. Cannon for, so help me, knocking on the door. She was charged with two felonies.

Georgia elections were corrupt from Jim Crow to the present and none of these gave one gray hair off a rat’s a**. Police in any county in Georgia will fill out a report on an actual burglary, file it in the cybernetic equivalent of a garbage can, and forget it forever so they do not have to charge a whitey with burglary. I will make an exception for Murray County here, since they arrested two burglars I reported and I have seen four white cops at the BBQ joint quietly celebrating Juneteenth.

The most damning evidence is that the white South is nearly universally Republican, full of incestuous inbred losers and an occasional cannibal–see Creuzfeld-Jakob disease totals in the South, caused by that exact diet–and the GOP pols scapegoat the Dems via a Q-Anon which is reportedly run by a molester.

When Sherman’s descendants muster troops, ask them if they’ll take an old lady who can reload guns and carry water. I’m ready.

ATL begs to differ.

9 Likes

True–Atlanta is a good place to start a general revolt–if anyone can get through traffic bottlenecks to do it.

We flipped the senate. So, ya know… Maybe we’re not all republicans. :woman_shrugging: The solid south isn’t nearly as solid as people believe.

13 Likes

Hmm… is it possible that it just appears that way due to shenanigans around voting and media depictions, and if things were actually… I don’t know… handled fairly, it wouldn’t be “the South” that seemed backwards?

Possibly? Maybe?

For those playing along at home, yes, the “white, racist South” is a myth. Montana (for example) is just as racist, the difference being that the racists actually feel less secure in the South and take more overt actions.

10 Likes

I’m sitting here in Ohio, arguably the heart of the Union war effort. General Sherman was born in Lancaster. General Grant was born in Point Pleasant. General Sheridan grew up in Somerset. It provided the third largest number of Union soldiers and had the highest enlistment rate for the union of any state. Roughly 69% of Georgia whites went Republican compared to 59% for Ohio. Virginia, the capitol of the Confederacy, was only 52% Seriously, this isn’t a regional problem. I can stand on the Grand Army of the Republic highway and look at a ten foot tall Trump flag.

8 Likes

Reminds me when I was at University and the Student Society banned the sale of Coca-Cola on campus because they had signed an exclusive deal with Pepsi (of course with no student input). When the Engineers tried to sell Coca-Cola on campus, the campus security removed them. They then came up with the idea of selling straws for a dollar and with every purchase, a free coke. It worked fantastically and after that, they once again allowed Coke on campus. It is a great tactic.

4 Likes

Yes, and… make sure to “fix” the so-called bad security at polling places, and/or voters’ access… by putting even more and bigger obstacles for BIPOC who exercise their right to vote.

4 Likes

Archers!
          – I beg pardon, sire. Won’t we hit our own troops?
Yes. But we’ll hit there’s as well.

No wonder my ancestors kept switching sides. They didn’t care about rich people living hundreds of miles away, but they objected to being told to kill their neighbours just because they were on the other side. Being told to kill their neighbours on the same side would have lead to an instant mutiny.

Yes, I know Braveheart is fiction. The Border reivers weren’t though.

7 Likes

maxim 20. if you’re not willing to shell your own position, you’re not willing to win.

3 Likes