Church elder tried to pay for Grindr sex with Arby's card, say police

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/preacher-tried-to-pay-for-grin.html

“Sir? This is an Arby’s card.”

2 Likes

Well that’s Arby’s food for you.

38 Likes

“WHAT? If i offer nothing then it’s free? God damn me.”

9 Likes

I question his judgement. I mean, Arby’s . . . ?

14 Likes

Evidence exhibit 1:
Defendant’s phone*
*not his actual phone, but I imagine his homescreen looks like this

16 Likes

So that’s what Grindr is.

I was close to looking it up because my Mr. Coffee is on the fritz.

22 Likes

That was his mistake: if he was truly pious he would have used a godly fast-food card, like Chick-fil-A.

30 Likes

There’s always a certain satisfaction in imagining my stereotype of a homophobe-in-public/gay-in-private church-leading hypocrite get their justified comeuppance, but it also seems kind of shitty to put this guy’s name & face out there any more than necessary. I’d guess that a lot of folks here believe sex work should be decriminalized & empathize with what must be the excruciating challenges of being closeted in the heartland. It seems beneath us to revel in or mock this guy’s pain.

20 Likes

A lot of people also have a problem with church elders who preach against all this, or support politicians who are against it.

24 Likes

The subtext is that he was clearly willing to pay a lot more as a Sugar Daddy than just a tank of gas. The cops actually risked their investigation slightly by making it so cheap. Actual people asked for (and received) quite a bit more it seems. The Arby’s card line was clearly a joke about how little the prostitute was asking for.

Overall I’m pretty meh on his actions and think 6 months in jail would be a travesty. The $1000 fine seems surprisingly cheap, I suspect the law must be quite old to have such a disproportionate difference between the time served and the fine. What I don’t like is the hypocrisy in being highly placed in an organization that vilifies homosexuality and simply propagating such hate instead of fighting against it. The possible conflict of interest from propositioning students is also a concern of course. The dude needs to be fired not because he’s gay, but because he put himself in a compromising situation with respect to his fairness in dealing with student issues.

15 Likes

As do I. But this feels like gloating over an opportunity to shame someone for something that we otherwise argue shouldn’t be a source of shame.

8 Likes

Well, he did want the meats.

9 Likes

Ironic. If there’s a sex organ commonly associated with Arby’s, it’s certainly not the penis.

5 Likes

The officer told Poyner he should not offer money or gifts for sex.

giphy (2)

21 Likes

Wait… is there another way to pay for Grindr hookups than roast beef sandwiches?

18 Likes

“Arby’s, we have the meats! Wait, no, what are you doing? No, not like that! That’s not what we meant!”

14 Likes

I prefer those little ham and swiss ones…

2 Likes

I mean, it’s one thing if it’s from Buzzy’s, but Arby’s…?

3 Likes

We don’t know his actual views on gayness, although given the church he is affiliated with we can speculate, so I get your point.

However, no one is commenting on the part of the report that says he “sought sexual favors from male college students.” That’s harassment and abuse of his position, a worse offense than offering to buy sex in my opinion.

21 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is shaming him for wanting the warm embrace of another man.

You’re right about the decriminalization and the difficulty in being closeted in Missoura, but this guy is in a position of power and influence to possibly help others like him. I’d wager his church’s stance and his personal voting record is hypocritical and hurts the gay community.

13 Likes