City official resigns after throwing cat in the air and drinking beer during Zoom meeting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/28/city-official-resigns-after-th.html

3 Likes

GOOD LORD! I’VE HEARD ABOUT THIS!

14 Likes

drinking-at-work

26 Likes

unreal! he resigned over that!!! jesus.

3 Likes

Moving to a Federal appointment, one presumes.

9 Likes

Well that is the way to have a Zoom meeting, I just see people change the background and talking with the mic muted.

The cat tossing didn’t seem that serious to me.

6 Likes

I thought we stamped out the scourge of cat juggling in the 70s!

15 Likes

Didn’t realize that animal abuse was NBD? :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

It would take a pretty hard throw to hurt a cat. I’d bet this is more of a pattern of drunken behavior than one cat throw.

5 Likes

Again, maybe not the point but … assuming the cat stuck the landing, how did the co-workers score it?

1 Like

Some cats like it.

6 Likes

Animal abuse? Are you kidding me? Cats are kind of designed for this. You’ve never tossed an annoying cat off the bed?

2 Likes

Yes. I’m not. Cats are resilient, doesn’t mean you should test that. They are living creatures. Not throwing them about should be a no brainer.

https://www.quora.com/Is-is-okay-to-throw-your-cat-on-the-floor-because-it-will-land-on-its-feet-I-know-someone-who-does-this-and-I-feel-bad-for-the-cat

Just because people do something, doesn’t mean it’s not abuse.

16 Likes

Frankly, the cat was asking for it, and most committee meetings are bullshit, but Christ, what an asshole!

Seems like an odd way to go out in a blaze of glory. To each their own.

I’ve never understood the knee-jerk response that [insert shameful behavior here] does not reflect the core values of [insert privileged group of white males with an overgrown sense of entitlement here]. I see it a lot with white high school and college students and their poorly thought out racist “jokes” and screeds. Not that Vallejo or this counselman meet those criteria, mind you, but too often I read that remark and think, “Actually, that asshole’s behavior really DOES reflect the core values of his tribe.” Why can’t people just say the person was acting like an asshole and leave it at that?

2 Likes

Avoiding lawsuits.

3 Likes

When I was growing up we had one cat that just loved to be thrown into the air and caught. She kept coming back for it. There’s a difference between tossing one up and catching them on the way down and chucking them like a baseball at the floor. If the cat doesn’t like it they will let you know.

I’m not a fan of the “anything potentially exciting is automatically abuse” attitude you see on the Internet.

3 Likes

True, and I’m sure there is a strong psychological component of defensiveness as well. It just strikes me as the most transparent of BS to say “we are the nicest people you ever did meet, and it’s an absolute mystery why little Jimmy burned that cross on the library lawn.”

3 Likes

There may be more to this. When he said, “Yes… if I’m allowed to make them”, “them” being comments, I got the feeling that he has some ‘history’ with those other officials.

4 Likes