CNN catches MAGA cultist in epic self-own over God in Constitution

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/29/cnn-catches-maga-cultist-in-epic-self-own-over-god-in-constitution.html

7 Likes

God is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, which might be where they’re getting deliberately confused. Deist god, not Republican Jesus, of course.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

23 Likes

There is certainly schadenfreude to watching these people bumble like that, but I’m not sure if you can ever get them to change just by pointing out their numerous false beliefs. I’m not even sure if you can get them to understand that these beliefs are false. They are defiantly people that once stopped to think, but never started again after that.

23 Likes

Donie O’Sullivan, an Irishman, is a better American than any MAGAt.

There is a lot of highly questionable language in the Declaration, but I love that this was the phrasing they chose to describe… all of this.

13 Likes

ezgif-3-45cc5b869e

7 Likes

Also, she has no fucking clue what a journalist does…

shocked philip j fry GIF

15 Likes

The Declaration of Independence is also not law. It’s an interesting and important historical document, but it makes up no part of our current body of law, which is comprised of the Constitution, statutes (federal, state, county, and municipal), and common law (judicial opinions). If the Declaration of Independence had ever been part of our codified laws, slavery would have been banned at our founding, since it very clearly states that all men are created equal.

Also, Article VI of the Constitution says, “no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States,” just in case any of these yahoos want to claim that only Christians should hold political office.

38 Likes

There’s been a long and wide campaign to promote untruths about America’s history. That it was founded as a Christian nation, that the founders were all devout evangelical-flavor Christians, etc. It’s probably what she was taught in school.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Project%20Blitz

20 Likes

It’s so bizarre. John Adams was a Unitarian. The whole Adams family were Unitarians. As in didn’t believe in the Trinity, but the Unity, of God. As in Jesus is not God. Modern evangelicals would consider him a heretic and a cultist.

Texas Republican activist and pseudo-historian David Barton, whose book, “Jefferson Lies,” which tried to remake Thomas Jefferson as an evangelical hero, was canceled by its publisher under withering criticism from conservative and evangelical scholars

Jefferson an evangelical? Are they serious? Jefferson was basically of the mind that Jesus sounded like a pretty cool dude who had some cool ideas.

27 Likes

Trump supporters, or for that matter any conservative in the past 50 years: Vile, horrible people, each and every one.

12 Likes

39 Likes

I haven’t spent any time following all the various splinters of Christian sects, but I don’t think modern evangelicals were really a thing until at least the mid-19th century through the 1940s and beyond. Many of them would be classified as New Religious Movements (cultic) except that religious scholars are very careful to place that timeline boundary in the 1950s, and generally overlook most recent Christian schisms. (And never mind how many them are the product of bible collages, er, Christian theological institutions.)

And here they are, projecting their beliefs onto the 1790s, sort of like the “orginialists”.

20 Likes

qYi8ge5

21 Likes

Trump’s Bible with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution is intended to send that message.

9 Likes

From the Point: You see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear.

5 Likes

That’s straight up Deism. Not Christianity.

13 Likes

Apparently it’s a fuzzy line. :man_shrugging:

(I suspect that it’s a label invented to smooth over awkwardness. I wonder how “Christian Atheist” would work? :smiley:)

13 Likes

in 2001 the Dalai Lama stated that “Jesus Christ also lived previous lives”, and added that “So, you see, he reached a high state, either as a Bodhisattva, or an enlightened person , through Buddhist practice or something like that.”

11 Likes

When you’re really into D&D, everyone is a D&D character class.

15 Likes

Buddhist Deist sounds interesting.

10 Likes