Condoleezza Rice on Capitol Riot: "It's time to move on"

and yet the dems are at least trying to get an infrastructure/jobs program through congress

what are the republicans doing? at the federal level, seemingly nothing but obstruction.

at the state level they’re focused on restricting voting rights, restricting civil and personal rights, stopping medicaid expansion, getting people evicted, removing food and unemployment assistance…

none of those are kitchen table issues, except maybe to kick the legs out from the few tables left standing

14 Likes

…That’s so much worse. They could have picked some conservative from the street then; all they have to do is find one who understood and admitted the WMD were a false pretext, the way most of the world did, and they will have someone more worth listening to than Condoleezza Rice. Trump fan or not, all her qualifications are negative.

8 Likes
15 Likes

Yep. You know that old line about, “If you meet an asshole in the morning…etc.?” I feel like our current timeline is very much putting that whole theory to the test.

10 Likes

12 Likes

I was listening to Pod Save the World the other day and Ben Rhodes (Obama’s Deputy Nat’l Security Advisor) said that he believed Powell in that moment. I was like, “Seriously? Because 1500 miles away with zero beltway insight I could clearly see that they were fabricating everything and that even he didn’t really believe what he was saying, but was desperately wishing it was true so he didn’t look like an asshole.” Just goes to show how self-deluded and lacking in useful cynicism people in DC tend to be. Even the most progressive and non-hawkish insiders still believe in the efficacy and fidelity of governance to be trustworthy.

ETA: This also says a lot about how corrupting influence can move even the most stalwart of institutional agents out of their ethical boundaries quite easily. When it really comes down to it, they’re all cheaply bought, easily manipulated and apt to be pushed around by the most obvious and toothless bullying.

6 Likes

I don’t see why a so-called conservative voice is necessary, but whatever. Trying to paper over the Jan 6 insurrection is basically supporting Trump.

8 Likes

I don’t disagree at all, I just wanted to point out the View wasn’t interviewing her.

I didn’t say I thought it was necessary, just that I understand why ABC/Disney wants that. It’s the whole “hey, we have to give time to both sides” thing, and the basic idea of the View from the beginning was to have women with different views talking about a wide variety of issues. To their credit, they haven’t tried to have an equal number of conservative and liberal voices. Since at least 2016, they’ve just had a single conservative on the panel, and I think the last Trump supporter they had as a host was Candace Cameron-Bure, and that was before Trump ran. So they could be doing a worse job. I just wish they would have a true progressive voice on the panel, and they don’t. The right thinks Whoopie Goldberg is, but she really isn’t. She loves guns, hates taxes, and has been really critical of AOC.

1 Like

Self-loathing requires no logic.

5 Likes

This is why I break out in hives every time she comes up as a candidate for a Democratic administration position as an olive branch to the GOP.

4 Likes

September 22nd, 1942, I doubt anyone was saying “Pearl Harbor was wrong, but it’s time to move on.”

5 Likes

One of my “kitchen table issues” is honest elections and the peaceable transfer of power, so CWCR can just STFU until the persons responsible for trying to undermine our Constitutional Democracy are identified and held responsible for their actions.

7 Likes

Yeah. I mean Stanford? Uch.

1 Like

PRO: Big fancy research university, ooh shiny

CON: Everything wrong with Silicon Valley is Stanford’s fault

3 Likes

I guess having Stanford on your resume is a positive qualification, but her at Stanford and “the torture memo guy” at Berkeley make me question their hiring practices.

7 Likes

To be fair to both of those institutions, Rice and Yoo were hired by their respective universities before they went on to their work in the Bush administration. I guess Academic Freedom covers war crimes committed in conservative administrations even while Georgia is trying to remove it from its state universities in order to get rid of liberals.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.