Confused Lt. Gov. of Georgia left without voting when he saw Herschel was on ballot

Originally published at: Confused Lt. Gov. of Georgia walked away without voting when he saw Herschel was on the ballot | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Well, that’s one vote Walker didn’t get, so Georgia has that going for it.

49 Likes

““It was the most disappointing ballot I’ve ever stared at in my entire life,” the startled Republican told CNN, recounting the moment of surprise when he saw Senate candidates Herschel Walker and Raphael Warnock two black men on the ballot (see video below).”

58 Likes

He’s had months and months to figure out that Walker didn’t qualify as a resident, but couldn’t be bothered.

31 Likes

I came here to say this. It’s code for the republican base, he’s not complaining about the quality of the candidates, he’s complaining about them not being white.

43 Likes

That’s what I figured. But the weird song-and-dance about standing in line for an hour then realizing who the candidates were, like it’s some sort of Candidate Reveal party. It’s a strange strange thing to say when you’re trying to look like a competent leader.

54 Likes

Album title.

32 Likes

If he’s that uninformed and/or indecisive, maybe he shouldn’t be in a leadership position.

36 Likes

Did he vote down-ballot, or did the first question throw him?

15 Likes

Well, that made me laugh out loud.

I thought they’d long since given up any pretence about that!

It’s all about owning the libs, dog-whistling in the audible registers, saying the wrong bit out loud, in fact anything that will appeal to pig-ignorant, prejudiced, bigoted people who might be anywhere within reach of their ‘base’ of deplorable fuckwits.

It no longer has anything to do with competence, does it?

22 Likes

You should have voted for Warnock, dipshit.

Indeed. He can fuck right off with that shit.

There was no down-ballot. The senate run-off was the only thing on the ballot.

36 Likes

He could have voted for the Georgian. Sad.

32 Likes

Whether it’s driven by racism and/or sheer stupidity, I hope more Georgia Republicans follow the example of this “leader” and vote for neither candidate in the run-off.

17 Likes

I’d prefer they’d vote for Warnock, actually. But as long as Warnock wins, I’ll be satisfied. I think both he and Ossoff are doing great work for our state.

32 Likes

Fellow Georgian here.

Valentine Valentine’S Day GIF by Crave

26 Likes

He wasn’t confused; it was performative. He has a reputation as an anti-Trump republican; he refused to endorse the Republican party nominee to succeed him, who was an election denier, but he is trying to go on the record that he does not support Democrats either.

22 Likes

Raphael Warnock GIF by GIPHY News

27 Likes

Of course. Have any Georgia Republican voters said they’re voting for Warnock? It would give me some hope to see some of them coming to their senses.

Absent that, I’ll take what I can get when it comes to securing another term for a leader who’s thoughtful, insightful and compassionate by any standards.

11 Likes

Given that some already did in the regular election (split votes for Kemp and Warnock), then yeah… The fact that Warnock was ahead when the other state-wide races swung more firmly towards (non-Trumpian) Republicans shows that some are beginning to break away from the ride-or-die mentality with their party.

19 Likes

That occurred to me, and may well be the case. But absent other evidence, I will cling to the hope that the GOP has plumbed the depths of candidates SO awful that even Republican politicians won’t vote for them despite the (R) after their name. Kind of how Raffensperger was willing to put his thumb on the scale through Gerrymandering and voter suppression but drew the line at actual, felony voter fraud. There may actually be limits to just how low the GOP is willing to go to secure victory at all costs. Although they still seem unwilling to promote policies that would get the support of an actual majority of Americans.

10 Likes