Congressman asks if women could swallow cameras for gynecological exams before abortion

Or oral contraceptives. Or estrogen or progesterone taken for other medical conditions including PCOS or pre-cancerous conditions or certain types of uterine cancer.

Or gender transitions.

3 Likes

Here’s some data for ya:

Comparative Safety of legal induced abortion v.s. childbirth in USA

6 Likes

I very much doubt it. The transducer has to be big enough for the frequency involved and there has to be a way of positioning it so that the reflections from the area of interest come back. The range for biological scans is around 2-18MHz depending on the type of scan - high frequency high resolution short penetration, but also different tissues require different frequencies.
You would have to have a way of waiting till it got to the right point in the gut, then manipulating it to point the right way and come into contact with tissue, and then scan it.

It would probably be easier overall to find a way of electing non-stupid politicians.

5 Likes

Sonic transducer, did you say? It’s just a jump to the left!

http://www.shawnhalldesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/SONICTRANSDUCER.jpg

Might be hard to swallow

4 Likes

Where’s the problem? Everybody knows babies come from mommy’s tummy.

4 Likes

I put it to you that we’ll see advances in imaging technology that mean you can look at the underside of your toenails from your ear canal before anything THAT outrĂ© occurs

8 Likes

I saw the video. He was asking a series of questions. It wasn’t “can we look at lady bits” with this camera, it was 'can remote technologies like those cameras be of any use as a force multiplier of medical services, like the cameras, in pregnancies" although his version of that question was hamfisted.

The person he was asking answered it in such a way as to frame his ambiguity as idiocy. Brava, but really?

I mean, he voted like an asshole, so by all means, “Gotcha”, but really

2 Likes

Advances in imaging technology yes, but even politicians cannot overturn the laws of physics.

1 Like

What? I mean that’s all I can think of

WTH?!

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with your suggestion that medical abortions do have a risk of complications, it’s important to note that those complications are not prevented by administering an exam prior to the procedure. According to the WHO (org not band) medical abortions can be safely performed at home provided there is proper counseling before the procedure and follow up care (either by exam or testing) afterwards, and most importantly, that the patient have the option to contact a healthcare provider in case of complications. And that’s really the crux of this debate in Idaho; it’s not about patient safety, it’s about restricting access. Just as in Texas, the anti-choice groups pushing this legislation in Idaho are trying to close clinics so people have to travel long distances to get access, and then pass legislation preventing telemedicine that could provide critical access to information and treatment to those who can’t travel. So let’s not fall in to the trap of hauling out information about complications related to medical abortions which, while important, isn’t relevant to the debate, and casts this issue as one of safety rather than restricting access.

13 Likes

I’m sorry, “just asking questions” does not excuse.

http://explosm.net/comics/3668/

Yup. JAQ-ing off.

1 Like

Well, see! If the contraceptive can be swallowed and knows were to go WHY NOT A CAMERA!

DUH!

8 Likes

It does not excuse his voting on rights, sure. And he is an ass, yes. But his comment has been mis-characterized. That is a fact, one offered to you and not as defense. I’d rather see you righteously indignant for good reasons, than because you were led down the garden path and are using an attack which is EASILY IGNORED by the people you would like to know about his assholeishness.

White Knighting does not excuse your willful misunderstanding of the statement you’re harping on. It does not excuse picking the low hanging fruit of misstatement when THE VOTING ON RIGHTS IN THE FIRST PLACE IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM

Be an asshole for what someone actually did, not the Gotcha moment you can foist upon them, unless it’s cool when they do that bullshit (and imply therefore that you’re no better?)

because believe it or not, asking questions IS his job. Voting to take away rights IS NOT.

Eyes on the ball, please. Not on the sidelines. Not on your karma.

3 Likes

Is there any point at which the predominance of these type of people in the Republican party causes normal people who call themselves Republican to switch parties?

Or have the normal people left long, long ago?

‘normal Republican’ - always sounds oxymoronic to me. I thought that being a complete cunt was a prerequisite for joining the Republicans, as it is here for joining the Tories. Or UKIP. Or the BNP (although, technically, I don’t think they exist anymore, thank fuck).

How aren’t they “exactly healthy”? I wonder if you’re aware that abortion is far safer than giving birth. Or are you just making stuff up because it sounds right in your head? I would suggest not doing that when a woman’s health is at issue. We deserve better than “oh I feel this way so it must be so”.

And I am pretty fucking positive that your “isn’t exactly healthy” is a guess based on a feeling, and not something you came up with from actual research.

Hey, as someone who has had an abortion? I’ve done the research. Have you tried asking women who’ve been through this before?

8 Likes

It is entirely normal for about 30% of people to be selfish bastards who give cover to other selfish bastards.

1 Like

there ARE ultrasonic probes that can do heart ( valve , backflow ) imaging from swallowable probes ; but , well , the anatomy is still kinda very different ~ ( the stomach is here , the heart there , but the intestines are way down there , and the internal lady bits are not directly adjacent in any useable way ) ( just an aside , not a defense or offense )

I’m sorry, You have to string him up in effigy before you will be taken seriously in this thread.

But really, yes, those systems DO exist. What an idiot he is for putting it in the record that those systems do not work in female reproductive health care!

Still, total jerk-asshole for voting on rights. Nothing says privilege like voting on other peoples rights.