Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

IKR?!? I mean, the schlubby posture is already giving the vibe of, “IDGAF,” but that mask is ridiculous. You’d think he could at least go through the motions for the hearing.
He’s the one who’s been going on Tucker Carlson. I bet his brother is gonna be pissed if they lose their business over this.

21 Likes

A textbook case of why family-owned businesses can be more difficult to manage. Still, they might continue to bond over anti-gov’t beliefs and portraying themselves as the real victims of the pandemic on whatever right-wing news outlets will host them. The pros at that tactic usually try crowdfunding, too, by saying they need money to help the staff (but it probably goes to the lawyers first and in their own pockets after that).

21 Likes

Dicknoser.

22 Likes
5 Likes
16 Likes

You totally called it.

They’ve raised $35K. The comments are despair-inducing.

21 Likes

Nation-state backed hackers going after COVID vaccine supply chain

Sophisticated operation is well-researched and well-placed, aimed at EU.

Not sure if I can read this because I subscribe to Ars No, seems to display fine even in incognito mode.

According to the report by IBM’s threat intelligence task force, which advises companies and the public sector on cyber security, they targeted organizations associated with a cold chain platform run by the Gavi vaccine alliance, a public-private partnership for developing immunization for poorer countries.

Many of the COVID-19 vaccines have to be kept cold to keep them from spoiling. Pfizer and BioNTech’s vaccine must be kept between minus 70C and minus 80C, while Moderna’s shot needs to be transported at minus 20C.

13 Likes

Seriously? Shit, even the bad guys are not usually total shitheads!!

14 Likes

No, they’ve always been total shitheads.

If you want to understand Putin’s Russia, understand that Putin has given up on Russia. He’s decided that Russia will always be a decaying failed state, drifting inexorably towards total collapse. In order to hold power to the end, what he offers the Russian people is to drag everyone else down to their level, to poison and burn everything, knowing that they have nothing of value for their enemies to attack in retaliation.

13 Likes

“Each and every one of those lives is much more than just a statistic,” the mayor said. “They were parents, grandparents, sons and daughters, aunts and uncles, friends and neighbors. They were our fellow Tucsonans. The best way we can honor their memory is through maintaining our resolve by continuing to follow public health guidelines.”

16 Likes

it’s like hackers who lock down hospital computers and hold them for ransom. evil stuff

17 Likes

Meanwhile, Ducey intends to keep murdering.

15 Likes
16 Likes

Two large sticking points in negotiations have been whether there should be another round of stimulus checks (a priority for Pelosi and Trump) and liability protections for businesses worried about being sued for exposing customers and workers to Covid-19 (a priority of McConnell’s). Republicans came out on top on both of these issues (at least in this initial proposal) — stimulus checks are not included in this new bipartisan proposal and the framework provided by Sen. Manchin’s office notes that the proposal will “provide short term Federal protection from Coronavirus related lawsuits with the purpose of giving states time to develop their own response.”

In other words, McConnell gets everything he wants, Democrats (and everyday Americans) get nothing, and Manchin continues to be less than useless.

Meanwhile McConnell’s own even more paltry $500m plan lets him and his buddies write off expensive dinners on their taxes.

The McConnell bill also reintroduces a Republican plan to allow diners to claim a tax deduction on their meal expenditures, a provision pushed by the business lobby but viewed skeptically by economists and some Republicans.

20 Likes

It’s hard to express the rage I feel at this. McConnell is literally holding millions of people’s lives and wellbeing hostage to get pre-emptive immunity for businesses to lethally abuse their workers. And he knows Dems actually give a shit, and won’t wait until the Biden admin can swoop in and be the heroes for political points when people are suffering.

It’s criminal negligence on a truly massive scale. Yurtle just moved up above 45 as by far the worst person on the planet on my list.

26 Likes

At least, the Düsseldorf case was targeting the hospital by accident.

Which does not make any difference for the people who lost their relative there.

This, however, seriously seems very targeted. And it frightens the shit out of me, since the military nowadays has doctrines on retaliating when someone does shit like that.

As of this year wasn’t bad enough.

12 Likes

Right?

Like, I HATE Trump.

But I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE Mitch McConnell.

19 Likes

Damn, you went all out when you bought the vowels! :wink:

That’s what I call a stimulus!

12 Likes
13 Likes

These lists are carrier no fly lists. He could fly on another carrier. But good luck if you need this one to get somewhere. If you’re in a hub airport for home - kinda screwed.

9 Likes