Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

In positive small-scale vaccination news, I finally got my Omicron (BA.4-5) booster.

18 Likes

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

6 Likes
9 Likes

Here’s some good news, now we’re going to get to the truth.

Or not.

8 Likes

Looks like she already has it figured out

11 Likes

10 Likes

Not sure Biden is to blame here. An awful lot of the change in life expectancy devolves to the huge burden of covid and the piss poor response of the Trump administration. Granted, Biden seems to have taken a "protect corporations " attitude to covid precautions, but blaming his admin for this statistic is probably not accurate.

21 Likes

Those last two data points are 2020 and 2021. Are we blaming Biden for the entire pandemic now, even the parts in the Trump years?

Yes, he did not wave a magic wand and increase life expectancy by two years in the first months of his presidency in the middle of the worst part of the pandemic. What actions could he have taken that would have actually had that effect that quickly?

13 Likes

I think that a breakdown of that data by state would be quite…telling.

Especially when cross-referenced against which party is in charge of the legislature and governor’s office in each state.

8 Likes

Maybe not stating publicly that the pandemic is over? And stating publicly, repeatedly, that he didn’t actually mean that?

Biden and Co. are devoted capitalists. I’m sure they’re okay with “a few more” deaths if downplaying the pandemic keeps the wheels of “the economy” rolling.

10 Likes

That data exists. Red states had significantly worse outcomes than blue.

Even prior to covid:

During covid

17 Likes

That was literally four months ago, in September 2022. How did that retroactively lower the life expectancy in 2020 and 2021?

I know you don’t actually think it does, but posting that graph and blaming Biden is silly.

Do you really think his announcement of the pandemic being “over” had any affect on cases or deaths? Deaths haven’t gone up since his announcement besides a tiny version of our seasonal variation. Both cases and deaths in December/January 2023 are a fraction of what they were January last year or January two years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, but the general point still holds. The US is in maskless “Wasn’t that pandemic awful?” mode, thanks in no small part to the Biden Administration.

3 Likes

“The US left” ?!?
That always makes me giggle.

8 Likes

Pop Tv Hello GIF by Schitt's Creek

We are few and far between here in America…

7 Likes

A graph that has doesn’t make the point whatsoever, but it still “feels” true because you get mad seeing unmasked people at grocery stores?

Frankly, deaths are back down to the point where they’re no longer “excess deaths,” they’re the standard mortality we’d normally be getting at this time without a pandemic.

Yes, some deaths are still attributable to Covid, but raging a Biden for supposedly causing hundreds of thousands more deaths simply because you think he hasn’t been consistently blaring the alarms loud enough all this time is silly.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that’s why she put it in this covid thread rather than the Biden thread.

ETA: oh, no, now that @milliefink has responded to elaborate more, there was a Biden component to this.

Personally, I think this is a situation where I would say he probably thinks he’s doing as much as he can within the political and cultural climate of the U.S., so soon after 4 years of Trump, because the MAGAts are still controlling much of the media and local politics. But is it enough? Heavens, no!

6 Likes

The post she posted is raging against Biden for not fixing this. “Defending Biden over vulnerable people.” Not a big Biden fan, but this is not his fault.

15 Likes

Yup, I kept reading!

5 Likes

Yeah, not a well made point by that Tweeter, and I reposted it too reflexively. Mea culpa.

It got a reaction from me because it aligns (albeit badly) with a rage that I feel, about the Biden Admin’s downplaying of the pandemic. Sure, their efforts seem better than Trump’s, but I think their failures get downplayed too much by those on whatever left we have, just because Biden’s supposedly on the left.

14 Likes