Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

jerk middle finger GIF by BJ The Chicago Kid

9 Likes

New ways to die from covid: unstoppable diarrhea that results in sepsis and organ failure.
Caveat: all indicated cases were unvaccinated. May be NSFW.

7 Likes
12 Likes

Now do Netanyahu.

8 Likes

I searched because I can’t remember if I asked this in here but now I’m seriously considering buying some of this stuff from a pharmacy in Isreal that ships to the US.

What, if anything, does anyone think of enovid/VirX?

It’s a nitric oxide nasal spray that claims to reduce the viral load after an exposure, during an infection, or used to create a barrier if you’re going to be in a high risk situation.

It appears to have gone through phase 3 clinical trials with very good results.

My research says it might be worth having on hand.

Any thoughts?

There is precious little scholarly research to be had. Startled me at first, but there is a male contraceptive pill of the same name that was discontinued due to thrombotic events, but seems to be an unrelated compound. there is this:
SARS-CoV-2 accelerated clearance using a novel nitric oxide nasal spray (NONS) treatment: A randomized trial - The Lancet Regional Health - Southeast Asia
This is the only research article I could find.
There is a trial underway (looks like it has closed, but results are not available yet.)
Phase 3 Clinical Study Evaluating Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) Efficacy To Treat and Prevent the Exacerbation of Infection in Individuals With Documented Asymptomatic or Mild COVID-19 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
“Only available in Israel and Indonesia” does not inspire confidence, and I have previously expressed my reluctance to hang too much on a single study. Seems to have little likelihood of causing problems, but cannot draw much more than that. so, basically, :man_shrugging:
As a physician, I can’t recommend something that has so little support. (As a patient, I do some things for me that are not all that well supported, though.)

14 Likes

It was that Lancet study that started me thinking about having some on hand.

But, I haven’t seen the FDA show any interest in It.

I’m not one to grab on to snake oil but this one seems like a can’t hurt kind of thing.

I’m also going to ask my cardiologist, who I trust more than anyone when it comes to my health. He will probably be the final word.

My wife said get his opinion first.

4 Likes
13 Likes
6 Likes

As the day of the judgment that will decide his political future draws closer, former President Bolsonaro was silent. But this week He decided to open his mouth and once again uttered lies and claimed that anti-covid vaccines contain graphene in their composition and this material is accumulated in the vaccinated ovaries and testicles.

Graphene is a real world substance, but It is also a right wing fetish stuff like Vibranium or Adamantium.

ETA

As Bolsonaro today has the same prestige as a dead possum carcass on a road, he had to publish a retraction on his social networks. After deliberately lying about graphene in Pfizer’s vaccines, the only president who was not re-elected in Brazil had to admit that he lied.

11 Likes

ETA:
(it’s from last year, I will see if I can get a more recent article on the Swedish situation)

Also: https://archive.ph/4NKPV

7 Likes

Denmark, Norway and Finland have about 5 million people each.

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Sweden has about 10 million people.

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

4 Likes

shows the following figures for the United States

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

since it was last updated: June 19, 2023, 13:49 GMT.

Wow.
And the U.S. is in the top 20 for countries with highest death rate per million.

It’s hard to know how much trust to place in the accuracy of reported data, in part because the official entities who should be tracking such things are sloppy, underfunded, incentivized or pressured to underreport, etc.

:cry:

2 Likes
7 Likes

Doctor Who Television GIF by BBC America

6 Likes

looks consistent with “excess deaths” count

9 Likes
9 Likes

Masks are now on clearance?

4 Likes

Pretty much. I found a few brands/retailers of the KF94 masks that fit me better, and I get daily emails of masks on deep discount.

I stocked up a while ago during an earlier sale, though nothing like the current 70-80-90% discounts, and I’m tempted to add to the stash because I suspect I’ll be wanting them again for the inevitable successor to or aggressive variant of Covid.

10 Likes

You might want to recheck your math. The ones linked are less than a penny each

3 Likes