Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

A colleague I had lunch with yesterday sent a message this morning that he wasn’t feeling well, and a friend of them had reported they had tested positive after they met on the weekend.

I got back to them, told them my test was negative and someone in my family also was ill, and not with COVID - like, not every sore throat needs to be that dipshit virus.

Well, about an hour or so we exchanged some messages, and it’s pretty clear that was a superspreading event: 17 people spent the weekend together, at some kind of reunion. All of them are ill now, mostly with mild symptoms. The one who apparently noticed it first, i.e. is likely the superspreader, is a pregnant friend of them. My colleague is down with the same symptoms, including high fever, like when they caught the virus the last time,

Shitshow. Is the writers’ strike still on? I hate those reruns.

10 Likes

Alas the missus had a gravelly throat yesterday and she tested positive today. So far she’s handling it better than I am.

It seems that covid is racing through my workplace. Based on timing I probably picked it up at work just before my trip last week. Everyone continuing to go work sick saying “its just allergies”

9 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t4:

7 Likes
10 Likes

buT t3h P4nD3miC iZ oVeR!!! /s

3 Likes

Have any of them taken a covid test?

7 Likes

Yes. First who got sick and first who tested positive is pregnant.
As far as I know, all of them are now positively tested. My colleague and partner (who wasn’t at the gathering, I take it) are also highly positive.
I’m still negative, fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Ugh, sorry to hear that (though I guess it’s good that
the folks involved actually bothered to test).

Best wishes all around. :heart:

10 Likes

I think this is going to get paywalled tomorrow, but right now it appears to be free:

9 Likes

Dr. Bettina Hohberger, Erlangen has posted some brief videos with updates on the research on Long COVID and ME/CFS. (I’ll summarize, feel free to correct, my :de: is rusty.)

• Lots of patients have registered for the study, many have been accepted, but the study is currently at the limit for the number they can admit.
  • The tests and equipment being developed at the Erlangen Eye Clinic are new; they are working out how to go from the measurements to actionable diagnoses.
  • They are to the point where, from the measurements, they can identify a persistent viral infection.
  • The working division for patients is into groups with persistent viral infection, an auto-immune reaction, and organ damage. It is already clear that there are overlaps in the groups, particularly the auto-immune and viral persistence groups.
10 Likes

So instead of spoons, someone like this has A spoon, maybe once a month at most.

3 Likes

My money is where my mouth is with COVID-19 vaccinations; I’ve had 6 so far with the latest a couple of weeks ago. While I’m dreading the discussions that might follow the study, this paper seems to point to something that ain’t quite right.

Buergin, N., Lopez-Ayala, P., Hirsiger, J.R., Mueller, P., Median, D., Glarner, N., Rumora, K., Herrmann, T., Koechlin, L., Haaf, P., Rentsch, K., Battegay, M., Banderet, F., Berger, C.T. and Mueller, C.
(2023),
Sex-specific differences in myocardial injury incidence after COVID-19 mRNA-1273 Booster Vaccination.
Eur J Heart Fail. Accepted Author Manuscript. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.2978

Conclusion
mRNA-1273 vaccine-associated myocardial injury was more common than previously thought, being mild and transient, and more frequent in women versus men. The possible protective role of IFN-λ1(IL-29) and GM-CSF warrant further studies.

“More common” is 1 in 35. :thinking: :hushed: Study subjects who got elevated troponins, the indications of injury, were warned not to exercise. Nobody in the study had a cardiac arrest.

Via Dr. John Campbell, who discusses the paper and who is displeased.

2 Likes

And whenever myocardial injury from the vaccine is discussed, it’s always worth the refresher that myocardial injury fron COVID-19 itself occurs in 1-in-4 patients.

COVID-19, Acute Myocardial Injury, and Infarction - PMC.

9 Likes

I’m all over vaccines as lower risk than the disease, thank you for reminding us of the statistics.

Would it be worth monitoring (IIRC on day 3) with a blood test for the indications of damage and advising, as they did with the study cohort, to not exercise until things have healed?

That’s a bit more overhead, obviously.

6 Likes

IANAD, but I would say that if there is no fever, then probably not. If there is a fever, then it would make sense to check troponin levels. We do it routinely for chest pain, so it’s worth checking. If there’s signs of elevated troponin levels, then a cardiac monitor might also be warranted.

6 Likes

With no other symptoms, no, no benefit at all. If the worst they can come up with is mildly, transiently elevated troponins, i would struggle to see why the “don’t execise” recommendation is a thing. Considering the alternative, the vaccine is always gonna be the better option, and hyping an asymptomatic transient lab abnormality is not helping us any. (Not you, you understand)

15 Likes

2 Likes

Most Americans have not had a COVID booster in a long time, CNN reported.

“Waning immunity clearly is going to play a role in all of this, and we’ve seen this over and over again, is the further out you get, even while there still is some protection against death and serious illness, waning immunity could be important in terms of the number of people who get sufficiently ill to require hospitalization,” Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert

Maybe it’s me, but the advice to get a booster in September seems like…

Late To Work GIF by Bernardson

7 Likes

I am glad he is lost, dazed and confused.

13 Likes
5 Likes