Counter protest seeks to leave field covered in dog poop before bigoted assholes arrive

Just heard on the radio that the rally has been cancelled. I don’t know if that’s “fortunately” or “unfortunately”. I do hope the field isn’t covered in dog poop, although to be honest, it won’t affect me any.

What about all those dogs that were being fed bran muffins by their people?

Are we looking at the same numbers? These idiots rally somewhere, ~500 idiots show up who are outnumbered zillion to one by very angry counterprotesters.

They can take over the country only if approx. 95% of the population just drops dead suddenly one day.

I don’t see the need for ruining the park maintenance worker’s day. Just show up, outnumber them, glower at them, they’ll get embarrassed and go back to whichever holes they crawled out from. Job done. If they try to take over the country shoot them. That’s the time-tested method for fighting Nazis.

67% of Republicans approve of Trump’s response to Charlottesville. Tens of millions of Americans now believe that “fascist” and “anti-fascist” are morally equivalent. Even Nazis murdering peaceful protesters in broad daylight is no longer enough to warrant immediate and unqualified condemnation.

If you want to know what the “normalization” of fascism looks like, this is it.

5 Likes

Fertilizer for the backyard marijuana patch?

That is the most codgeriffic thing I’ve ever heard! I salute you, sir!

2 Likes

So it has.

­

3 Likes

Sure, but you can willfully read what he said to be merely the usual mealy-mouthed statement you’d expect.

True. Antifa did shoot itself in the foot massively when it came to the PR battle.

From whom? I’ve seen pretty much universal condemnation. Oh, sure, there’s people who haven’t issued it and Trump’s… y’know. Trump. But there’s vastly more people who have condemned it, and loathe Nazis with every fiber of their being.

I am skeptical. I think the Alt-Right’s self-delusion is so preposterously strong that they’ve manged to spread the impression that they are winning even among sane, civilized people.

(Fascists are amazingly good at that. Despite popular impression, Mussolini never made the trains run on time and Nazi Germany was an inefficient ill-managed mess)

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/wernertwertzog/status/900382564787122177

They can take over the country only if the supposedly sane half of the white middle class continue to sit on their arses and do nothing.

There are not many times when I agree with you emphatically, but this is one of them.

The other side of the coin when it comes to casting Nazis as the Big Bad Villain in media for the last 70+ years?

It created an automatic negative connotation associated with them; the ultimate embodiment of human evil.

That doesn’t just go away ‘overnight,’ or even over a few decades.

kick axis

There was a time when most Americans of both parties would not hesitate to condemn a murderous Nazi without reflexively bringing up Black Lives Matter and Anti-Fascists as if those things were just as bad.

Even your comment suggests that the equivalency many Americans draw between fascists and anti-fascists is all the anti-fascists’ fault.

3 Likes

dog feces doesn’t manure out.

They probably won’t be using that name or logo if and when they take power again. I’m not afraid we’re creeping ever closer to a world where the ruling party embraces Hitler’s flag, I’m worried we’re creeping closer to a world where the ruling party embraces Hitler’s ideology.

3 Likes

In all fairness we are living in an era of some very compelling streaming television.

2 Likes

Possibly. But when was this golden age? When you were putting Japanese-Americans in camps? Destroying nearly every structure in Korea? Industrializing war-crimes in Vietnam? Inventing Al Qaeda in Afganistan?

Let’s not get too dewy-eyed about lost American greatness. You were never free of fascists, as far as I can tell. These are just dumber.

Way dumber.

Fault? No. Responsibility? Yes.

The world is as it is. If the anti-fascists want to win (and I dearly hope that’s their intention) then they need to win. That includes mastering PR. This is profoundly unfair, but there you go. If things were fair, antifa would be entirely pointless as there wouldn’t be any fascism to fight.

Considering that the counter-protesters that have been identified are largely from academia, either as students or instructors, I’d say that the middle-classes are well on side.

But what would you have them do? Grab rifles and shoot anyone with a MAGA hat dead?

I think there’s plenty of fascist ideology about everywhere, America certainly included. But I think its most dangerous manifestations are different enough that they escape the instant loathing open fascists get.

This current Nazi-hunt? Perilously close to an autoimmune disorder, I fear.

Sustained, massive, non-violent non-destructive disruptive civil disobedience. Targeted at the money of the 0.01%. Shut the country down.

It isn’t a protest, it’s a revolution. And it would’ve been a lot easier to pull off if you’d done it six months ago.

1 Like

We never had a Golden Age when we were a nation free of racism, but we DID have a period of 76+ years when all American Presidents and most American citizens were capable of unqualified condemnation for murderous Nazis. Now you can’t bring up the topic without millions of Americans reflexively turning to “whataboutism.”

4 Likes

but her emails

4 Likes

I’m pissing people off again, so I’m going to back off for a while. But since this is about the 1,000th time that it’s been suggested that I promote political violence…

1) I do not advocate for violence against the state, and never have.

For the simple reason that it does not work. Unless you’re willing to ramp it up to full civil war scale, shooting one cop is useless. For that sort of tactic to work, you have to be willing to shoot all the cops, in which case you’ll have to shoot the army as well.

The government has a massively greater capacity for violence than the civilian population. Armed insurrection is a last-ditch desperation tactic that almost always fails, and inevitably carries a great cost. Don’t do it.

2) I do not see anything wrong with violent self-defence against fascism.

The march on Charlottesville was an assault. Antifa were justified in forcefully resisting the invading fascists.

Despite that, it is notable from the eyewitness reports that most of the antifa violence was in direct opposition to acute danger faced by the peaceful protestors. The fascists had no hesitation in beating up non-resisting pacifists, but the antifa crowd repeatedly stepped in to disperse their assaults.

They acted as a largely defensive and reactive force, didn’t kill anyone, and caused minimal injuries and property damage. Most of the fights were broken up with pepper spray. The antifa didn’t shoot or knife anybody, or even beat anyone severely. If the attackers withdrew or surrendered, the antifa let them go.

As Mark Bray says, if you are planning to confront fascists, there is a good chance that the fascists will employ violence against you. Given that fact, is it better to go to that confrontation prepared to defend yourself, or not?

Many of the peaceful protestors from Charlottesville report that, in their view, antifa defended them from severe danger.

The Deacons of Defence, The Pink Pistols, Redneck Revolt, etc. are all defensive organisations. They present no threat to anyone who is not a threat to them. But they are regrettably necessary.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.