Coup: North Carolina Republicans convene a special session to strip incoming Democratic governor of executive powers

It certainly is the stuff of supervillains, but it’s already played out on the larger USG stage with McConnell basically denying Obama a SCOTUS pick for no reason…other than he’s black and the jelly-spined hypocrites in Congress are only too happy to subvert democracy like this.

When the GOP willingly, readily, happily, turns a blind eye to overwhelming evidence of RF hacking of American political processes and institutions, when they ignore or handwave away questions about trump’s long list of conflicts of interest or those of any of his nominees, when they can’t even represent the USA well enough to honor the SCOTUS pick of a sitting president, then it’s hard for me to see any way out of this morass.

6 Likes

only saving grace of the state in my opinion.

2 Likes

There’s Cary, NC.
I can only assume that it is the greatest city on the planet (if not in the universe)!

8 Likes

Come for the bars and book stores, stay for the after hours drum circles!

4 Likes

Even the hardest of the hard core Republicans would think the Gozinta Boxes are pretty cool.

3 Likes

South Carolina’s alright, if you stick to Columbia or Charleston, and only then if you’re just visiting and don’t have to live in either of those places.

4 Likes

I’ve been to both cities and kind of agree. A friend of mine lived in Columbia for years and Charleston is historic and gorgeous, of course. Hilton Head is beautiful too. I like the kitchy nature of Myrtle Beach, too.

Honestly, SC is a beautiful state, but it has real serious problems that need to be addressed.

6 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the difference there. Because I had looked from the pigs to the men, and the men to the pigs, and from the pigs to the men again. And I could not tell which was which.

10 Likes

Speaking as a Libertarian, I applaud this and I applaud anything Obama might do along the same lines.

The pigs are cute.

1 Like

My mom is buried there, so…yeah?

2 Likes

Really? I’m sorry.

2 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Not anymore…as moderate Republicans have discovered in every state.

5 Likes

Yeah. She retired to Asheville after 40 years of complaining that Chicago was too small-town for her (she was a New Yorker) and fell in love with it. It was hard on my sister and me because the flights don’t connect well, and we hardly ever saw her after her move. The town seemed like a California transplant.

4 Likes

I can see that. I’ve never been out to California, but I have cousins who live there and known enough people from there to get sort of an idea of what it must be like. Asheville can seem like that, almost.

1 Like

I’ve been out to California a fair bit, and have spent a little bit of time all over the state. It’s very nice to visit, but I instantly got the impression that I wouldn’t want to live there. Some places I’ve been I wouldn’t even want to visit (I’m looking at you, Bakersfield).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.