COVID-19 isolation activities

3 Likes

Lies. Nothing works!!

6 Likes

I feel your pain.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I have a GoPro pointed at my feeder, and can view the live feed on my phone.

3 Likes

I saw your pictures on the other pet topic. Your bird restaurant is such a blockbuster!

5 Likes

I got a VPN and have been mindfully obtaining “linux ISOs” rather than let the algo choose for me.

If anyone knows a good way to tell vlc “just open everything in every folder + subfolder” I’d be all ears.

1 Like
1 Like

Just a head’s up: the Gothic Reading Stream is just about to start has started!

2 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/02/kanopy-free-film-streaming-service-local-library-university-thoughtful?__twitter_impression=true

7 Likes

Not quite chosen. Truth be told, I’m in a separate building as well, thankfully. Do they have advice in there for if their “hobby” is speculating about medical conditions?

2 Likes

Have you tried the command line?
Using bash, it seems to be pretty simple (source).

1. Enable globstar option is set via:
$ shopt -s globstar
  1. Use echo **/**{mkv,mp4,...} to match and list all video files.
    Just to test if all the files are really shown.
  2. Finally, run vlc using vlc **/**{mkv,mp4,...}.
    I don’t know if there is a simple way to select all video formats that vlc support, nor if it will behave well if you pass every file in those folders by omitting {mkv,...} .
2 Likes
3 Likes

i don’t think i have any non mp4/mkvs, so thank you for the one liner, the globstar helped.

i wish there was also a simple way to exclude a single directory (don’t need… certain videos… appearing on shuffle - but just moved them to a different tld as a stopgap)

You could use find for that (though it’s a slightly aggravating tool). Something like this should do:

find . -type f \( -name '*.mp4' -o -name '*.mkv' \) -not -path './ignore/this/folder' -exec vlc {} \;

Exclude the -exec vlc {} \; at first to make sure it returns the list of files you need, and beware of the exec part if the vlc part for a single file takes a long time or a lot of memory.

ETA: that command looks a mess. It may help to read this way:

find . \
  -type f \( -name '*.mp4' -o -name '*.mkv' \) \
  -not -path './ignore/this/folder' \
  -exec vlc {} \;
3 Likes

Thanks, this probably works, unforunately if I use “vlc” as a CLI command I get told vlc doesn’t exist.

(So I opened twin peaks manually to be able to focus on some actual work lol :slight_smile: )

For your friends and relatives who are suddenly Facebooking a lot more these days:

12 Likes

The Gothic Reading Stream is probably going to end early, once Olly finishes reading Dracula… so if you want to check it out, you might want to do it soon. :wink:

(Which is kind of good, because I need some sleep. I’ve been awake for most of it. :crazy_face: )

3 Likes

12 Likes

Choir! Choir! Choir! is in the midst of a livestream for a CA cancer charity…

I think they’re are doing other live streams during the lockdown!

3 Likes