Crossbow killer exposed by car telematics

The evidence seems to be largely circumstantial. Is there any direct proof? What kind of barrister doesn’t mount a full-throated defense of the client? How about, he didn’t kill the guy, the bacteria killed him?

Yeah, it’s weird. I thought the reports left out some information, but it seems like it was entirely random. Which is pretty ironic, as if nothing connected the two, then the only reason he got caught was because he torched the vehicle to try to cover up his movements (specifically, the two trips to that location), and the act of torching it caused the police to become aware of its movements. Which raises the question of why he thought the police would be looking at the car in the first place - pure paranoia? He was so intent on covering his tracks that he went too far?

5 Likes

5 Likes

I’ll lend you my car for your murder if you lend me yours for mine.

Or we can just be eco-friendly and take the train…

10 Likes

It committed seppuku rather than live with the shame that it failed to protect its lord.

5 Likes

There is a thin drugs angle, as the old fella let someone grow weed in his barn and then forced him to stop when he realized how much weed was being grown. That guy appears to have a connection to the murderer.

The murderer’s alibi is amazing: he claims he was parked there to go cruising. Gay cruising on a windswept moor in Anglesey! The best part is there is in fact a popular gay cruising area there, but it’s four miles away.

6 Likes

Speculating here, but I think he simply didn’t know the car was networked – it was his boyfriend’s, after all. But it’s easy not to know even if you’re the owner. More or less every new car has a cellular connection. It’s just part of the system. It’s “live traffic updates” and “Sirius/XM” and “eGPS” and “OnStar”, totally featurized away from being understood as an internet/phone connection

P.S. That new water meter they installed in your house? A cellular connection powered by water flow!

6 Likes

With a crossbow? Roger that!

2 Likes

Truly ironic.

2 Likes

And this is exactly why I don’t connect my IoT crossbow to my water meter.

9 Likes

Any report of motive? People are saying he was a stranger, but I feel like he’d have to know the victim pretty well to know that

1. He watches TV at midnight, and
  2. If the TV goes out in the middle of the night, he is the type to go outside, in the dark, to inspect his dish instead of calling a technician or waiting until daybreak.
3 Likes

Presumably. I assume he torched it because he thought he was actually getting rid of the only record of where it had been. (Not knowing that the information was also stored elsewhere and that the act of burning the car would be the thing that would bring it to police attention and uncover exactly what he was trying to hide.) It just seems like overkill that he felt the need to torch the car in the first place - there didn’t seem to have been any reason for the police to be suspicious of him or examine the car.

Real, honest-to-goodness irony right there!

The killer apparently had visited the place a previous night, scoping it out. So that could easily have been information he could have figured out then - that the inhabitant watched tv at that time and that the satellite dish was in the front yard. If there was some connection between killer and victim, no one seems to know what it was, including the victim’s partner who lived there.

2 Likes

But they all upload their rides to Strava.

5 Likes

Range Rover drivers have always creeped me out. I sorta like the idea of thousands of them reading this story, remembering their illicit activities, and googling how to burn down the cloud.

1 Like

It looks like it might have been a paid hit, although I’m guessing the CPS never had enough concrete evidence to push that theory.

But the court heard that, before his death, Corrigan and his partner, Marie Bailey, 64, had allegedly been conned out of £250,000 by a man called Richard Wyn Lewis, who had previous convictions for fraud.
The court also heard there had been a row between Corrigan and Lewis over the growing of cannabis in outbuildings at the former’s home.
Jurors were told that Whall had been arrested at the Anglesey home of Lewis – who remains under investigation – on 31 May last year following an incident that the jury was told was a dispute over money. Rouch said Whall’s association with Lewis “may be of significance”.

So, some guy cons him out of loads of money, gets into an argument about growing weed in his shed, and then hires crossbow guy to kill him. Then possibly decides not to pay crossbow guy, they fight, and the police are called, once again showing that if you’re a stupid criminal, you’ll probably get caught for stupid reasons.

2 Likes

killer had argument with a man weeks after the murder about money. Said man rented land from victim and his wife; wife claimed said man defrauded them out of :euro:250k and was illegally growing mj on their land. said man has denied all of those accusation… (do i need to add that hopefully this connection is researched fully?)

Edit: sorry, didn’t read all of the comments; phuzz is On It.

1 Like

God damn… now everyone around me is looking at me funny… better go look busy.

Yes, bolt somewhere, look busy.

3 Likes

there seems to be ample speculation and real information on this particular case but when I see people say “just shoot someone randomly?? wtf” I am reminded that there is a small but sizeable fetish community that collects every video clip they can find in movies where women take an arrow to the gut. that would only leave the question why an old man instead.

“Curses! Next time, must remember to also set fire to the NOC that hosts my car’s telemetry data…”