Explosion in Nashville, Tennessee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/25/explosion-in-nashville-tennessee.html

7 Likes

Fingers crossed this is just an accident, and no one was hurt.

18 Likes

RV, propane tank?

23 Likes

Heard and felt 12 miles away? Propane tanks contain a lot of energy, but that sounds improbable.

24 Likes

I’ve been reviewing footage of various propane tank explosions. If it was just propane I want to know why an RV had so much of it on board!

12 Likes

Odd situation, and a lot of mixed messages. It was powerful enough for parts of nearby buildings to be structurally compromised. There are people “saying” that there was talk on the scanner of live ammunition going off from the fire, but that could be secondary, if it is even true.

The big red building is an AT&T data center, it is being said. It’s always possible that a small RV explosion set off a large secondary explosion, gas main, or something. The most lurid interpretations are coming from press rags so far.

Really hope it isn’t intentional.

Update: Intentional

I guess 2020 ain’t over yet…

27 Likes

I’m surprised nobody’s putting money into “mobile drug lab”. I guess Breaking Bad was really that long ago, that it’s out of the zeitgeist.

But seriously, my money is much more on amateur chemistry than malfeasance.

I swear I didn’t mean to make this a direct reply to someone and just misread which reply button I was supposed to use.

14 Likes

I have done that so often… the reply thing, not the chemistry explosion thing.

16 Likes

Oh hey, there is a bit of snow in Nashville.

2 Likes
19 Likes

Reminder that not all explosions are terrorism: https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/roseburg_blast/

4 Likes

Sigh. If it is terrorism, it looks like it could have been from one of the far right conspiracy loons seeing how it’s parked in front of an telecom datacenter

Edit: AT&T have previously asked Google to blur out that building in maps. So that may have been a sign that the company was worried about those kinds of folks approaching that building.

12 Likes

So - was this timed to make a religious point, or did the perpetrators want to cause property damage at a time when people were likely to be elsewhere?

16 Likes

“Suspicious RV with no tags parked across from the courthouse”
“Exploded as bomb squad responded”
Shades of Oklahoma City?
Remote trigger as bomb squad arrives. Liking this less and less. Any chatter amongst Boogaloo Boiz?

14 Likes
17 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna guess maybe a meth lab? I mean, I am sure someone thought about this before Breaking Bad…

But more likely it was intentionally set by some terrorist wanna be. Y’all-Qaeda?

2 Likes

There’s a building two doors down from the Hooters bar which seems to have it’s entire insides gutted out. If that was the intended target then I’d say it was a fairly successful operation.

3 Likes

Hmmm… which ideology hates hot wings the most?

9 Likes

If my internet sleuthing is up to scratch then that building is a ‘valet parking’ business. So if it was the parking space that blew up one could still think of it as an accident?
Or if it was a terrorist act, then still kind an accident in the sense that the bomb did not go off at the intended time and place?

2 Likes

People are saying that the RV had a recorded message warning that there was a bomb and telling people to evacuate.

EDIT: Also heard that this is a standard police warning over a PA telling people to clear the area

22 Likes