Explosion in Nashville, Tennessee

“But dude, what if we get caught?!”

“Hmmm. Well, let’s make sure we don’t kill anyone. Then there’s no murder charges!”

7 Likes

That’s a solid indicator of the “intentional act” idea.

Seriously how does anyone not think he’s going to get caught for such things? They will immediately find the VIN on the RV and trace where that came from. They will have a bazillion surveillance images of the guy leaving the RV. They will pull off serial numbers from every other object in the RV, and yes every electronics device that has a USB port, a WiFi chip, a CPU, anything will have serial numbers. Even if no one died it’s going to be federal charges which can be decades.

10 Likes

"Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!" — Cousin Eddie

6 Likes

Hmm, didn’t the cops say they started to clear the area after the bomb squad was called? Some areas have music piped in during shopping hours etc and so there is a PA system along the street they could activate in cases of emergency.

But maybe it is from the RV. It just seems really clear for something down the street.

3 Likes

Terrorists care less about getting caught and more about inflicting terror.

7 Likes

Ambivalent terrorism belongs to the same category as ironic goat fucking.

6 Likes

My thoughts, and hopes, exactly.

Lot of confusing parts. What I have read, they were responding to a shots fired call, found no evidence of shots fired, but then called in the suspicious vehicle, backed off, and the RV then exploded.

It’s a testament to how messed up this year is that we have so many possibilities for hatefulness. The AT&T building even made me think of 5g conspiracy theories. It’s like playing 2020 bingo.

15 Likes

I came back here to remove a post I had made before fully understanding the circumstances or stupidity in my part surrounding it.
The admins here beat me to it, for which I am grateful.

I’ve not been asked to apologize for my tastelessness, but I do so anyhow.
Sincerely. My apologies.

22 Likes

You joke, but this is SOP for certain flavors of terrorism, where they want fear and attention without the negative image or moral problems associated with deaths. If witnesses are correct (keeping in mind that’s a big if) that the warning was coming from the RV, then this would appear to be the case.

I hope you’re right, but all of those angles have weaknesses. Things can be stolen, unregistered (we sold a car once and got a call 9 months later that “our” car was impounded, because the buyer flipped it without ever signing the registration, and we wouldn’t have remembered anything about the two strangers that bought it), surveillance can be foiled by disguises, bad angles, etc. It’ll depend on the sophistication of the operation, how many people knew about it, etc.

8 Likes

Not joking really; ambivalent terrorism is still terrorism.

5 Likes

I didn’t say it wasn’t terrorism, but I detected a hint of mocking in that framing.

2 Likes

Where they’re doing a weird calculus to prove that they’re not the baddies.

3 Likes

I will cop to contempt.

5 Likes

The RV did have a recording playing.

18 Likes

Richard Nixon still wins top Google result for “Christmas bombing”

5 Likes

I’m a little surprised this happened without being discovered beforehand, given that there is probably a very high level of surveillance now with all else that’s going on, more so considering this is 100 mi from Georgia border and impending election. (not implying I think there is any connection, just that this is the sort of activity I would expect LE and others to be alert for in that region )

1 Like

Among many other desperately needed Constitutional Amendments, an absolutely vital addition would be a ban on the use of “BREAKING” in news writing.

8 Likes
11 Likes

The fact that police were already responding to “shots fired” suggests that the bombers’ plans had gone wrong. It’s possible that the location wasn’t the target, but where they happened to be when they armed it and bailed.

7 Likes