Explosion in Nashville, Tennessee

The attack seems to be quite well executed and I wonder if this is one of a series of explosions. No doubt the FBI will be giving that idea some thought.

4 Likes

I’m glad nobody was killed or suffered life-threatening injuries.

I wonder if this is a distraction for a larger operation. Perhaps a team of thieves is currently trying to make off with $640MM in negotiable bearer bonds.

13 Likes

Or this was intentional to get police into the area. Although the announcement telling people to evacuate seems to conflict with this.

The whole thing is so bizarre.

11 Likes

Trump could still pardon him tho, right?

5 Likes

BBC is reporting outages in telecom and data services, due to damage at the ATT building . If this wasn’t the intent it seems to have been the result

7 Likes

There’s lots of confusion on the internet about what happened. This is what Nashville Police says, per ABC News:
Authorities update on Nashville explosion: Officers responded to reports of shots fired in downtown Nashville, encountered RV with recording warning of possible detonation, began evacuations of nearby buildings. The RV exploded shortly afterward. ABC News

10 Likes

Funny as crutch rich

1 Like

Given there was a loudspeaker in the van that announced a bomb would explode, then gave a 15 minute countdown, it really does seem like they wanted to avoid casualties.

4 Likes

It seems that they didn’t just dump it and run.

17 Likes

A moral BAND-AID® for their consciences, so that they can pretend to be the Good Guys. “We may have set off a large unpredictable explosion in a downtown area, but we minimized the chance of death. We’re not monsters.”

16 Likes

So much for wanting to show off my new sodium-battery EV, which I thought was tight. What recreational voyage, this!?

10 Likes

Does remind me of IRA bombings in UK back in the day. Set the bombs, issue a warning to minimize loss of life and boom. Someone(s) is sending a message. My money is on someone unhappy with the election results.

27 Likes

Hopefully they’re done.

♫ On the First Day of Christmas, terrorists sent to we,
A bomb in an RV.

5 Likes

Hopefully a one off, but with all the talk in RWNJ circles I am worried it might not be. I am shocked but not shocked at the number of folks I hear mentioning BLM and Antifa as possible actors here. Given their propensity to projection, that’s damn near as good as a confession.

20 Likes

It’s a probe. Coms down. Solar Winds hack has shown more than you think

6 Likes

I hesitate to speculate, and am sorry if this is over the line, but I look at the result, i.e. disruption of the att central office, the timing, Christmas when defenses are compromised, and the sophistication of the attack, and can’t help but wonder if this is some kind of information security operation. I have some experience long ago of analyzing an SS7 network similarly challenged (SS7 is pretty much the same still) and when an important node went down the rest of the SS7 network was flooded with alarm codes rendering it very vulnerable . Who would do something like this? Who would do the Solarwinds operation? Really out there I know, but I know if I still worked in that industry I would have grabbed my keys the moment I heard this.

11 Likes

The pictures from the site look much bigger than an accident. Also BBC is reporting that the RV was warning people to leave the area a few minutes prior to the blast via loudspeaker.

Someone is just a giant asshole.

I’m not even Christian, and think it’s so not ok to pull this shit on Christmas. (not that it’s ever ok, but it’s especially not ok today)

3 Likes

Or gold. Die Hard in the Summer used bombing to distract the cops, while the first two movies, the bombing was to cover tracks.

1 Like

Apparently the vehicle had some sort of audible warnings and some sort of a countdown. I don’t know if it detonated before the countdown ended, but if true it seems like they didn’t want to kill anyone, but did want to take down the building.

Problem is, no one seems to be taking responsibility, so it can’t be tied to a specific message. Is it about the election? (If it were, surely they would have picked a meaningful location?) Someone set off a bomb, for reasons. Not very effective terrorism. They can’t operate like the IRA, because they had code words they could use to tie this to future threats. (The IRA would use the codes to make make empty threats, too - get everyone in a tizzy for nothing, then do real bombs to remind everyone that all threats could be serious.) Unless someone did take responsibility, but we’re not hearing about it yet, it doesn’t make much sense.

9 Likes

If it continues/escalates, how long before there’s chorus to declare martial law?

17 Likes