Crowds head to beaches

As nihilist fields trips go this one looks okay.

6 Likes

43 Likes

The Go Topless Jeep Weekend in Bolivar peninsula
is made possible in part by Masque of the Red Death

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s the real tragedy here. /s #ffs

1 Like

Whenever an ATV flattens out a sand dune in Florida they have to refigure the state’s highest peak.

7 Likes

These are not on the list of the world’s greatest beaches to start with. Beaumont, which is east of Houston and down the road from Galveston Bay, is already one of the more polluted areas of the country and along the coast is the entrance to the Houston ship channel and North America’s largest oil terminus in Port Arthur.

I recall many summer days of my youth side-stepping tar balls and oil crusted dead birds as my cousins and I frolicked in the dirty brown sand and murky, brackish tide. Ah memories!

East Texas. Land of Church’s Chicken and Whataburger.

9 Likes

This is less than 50 miles from me (as the crow flies), but man does it look like a world away.

The gulf coast doesn’t have dunes, so that isn’t an issue. It is still terrible for the ecology and life in the intertidal though

9 Likes

I suppose in the grand scheme of things those people are probably at greater risk of death from the combination of alcohol and motor vehicles than the virus.

13 Likes

SMDH

29 Likes

They’re fighting a war, but certainly not against COVID-19.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Daily I’m reminded of George Carlin and his quip “50% of people are dumber than the average person!”

12 Likes

Remember, most of us were this dumb at one point…

I sorely miss GC, while simultaneously wishing that he hadn’t been ‘right’ about so damn much.

11 Likes

Yeah… like a Bill Hicks you’d actually like to hang out with.

4 Likes

You wouldn’t hang with Bill Hicks?

It’s just a ride…

6 Likes

I would, and it is, but we’d get kicked out the bar later if it was Carlin…

8 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s probably their family members and essential workers trying to stay safe who will also end up cannon fodder.

13 Likes

Ah, fair point…

4 Likes

From what I have seen, most people at beaches near where I am have been good about adhering to social distancing, despite the local media portraying it as a circus.

You have an occasional group of 20-something yahoos. But mostly going around, there have been a few questionable and misleading photos of seemingly crowded beaches. An example is here:

I’m not saying there’s no crowding, but only that certain news sources like to play up the controversy in order to make the story scarier than it is.

(And TBF, what’s going on in Texas is nuts.)