Cute Wonder Woman lunchbox banned from school for being too violent

Our Bosoms are Our Weapons…

5 Likes

My daughter had a Betty Boop lunchbox, wonder what they would have made of THAT? Solves problems with T&A. At least in the pre-code cartoons.

4 Likes

Some places have become incredibly hostile to public schools and will not appropriately fund them. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but there’s a war on public education happening right now. Even if you have the money, it’s not like every area has a surplus of private schools, either. Those that do, may not accept more than a certain number of students, or may be out of the parents’ price range. In other words, you would still need more information.

5 Likes

The “take or leave” suggestions rely on a reasonably wide palette of choices available. Sometimes you get just the Hobson’s kind. :frowning:

2 Likes

Just as an entertaining thought: Does the kid have to hand over her money too? I’m assuming that at least some of the presidents depicted on them have resorted to violence.

Bert

2 Likes
1 Like

She ties up people with the Lasso of Truth. If that’s not violent, I don’t know what is.

1 Like

on a lunchbox?

1 Like

Get a lunchbox with this picture and watch their heads explode:

2 Likes

YES! EXACTLY! That will teach those bureaucrats the goodness of superheroism!

Doris: They’ve even begun blinking in unison.

Skinner: I love that sound!

7 Likes

Just the possibility of banning something for the greater good is so foreign to some.

Also, solid color clothing is prohibited also I imagine. It probably causes triggers for some students. All students should wear multicolored clothing to show inclusion for all races and creeds so no one is offended also. :confused: (note, all previous text is in sarcasm font)

So, the students who are surrounded by violent images/media on social media, websites, tv, real life, etc all hours of the day when not at school. Are only protected from violent images while at school thanks to the vigilance of the school board.

Yes, thank you- I’m entirely aware on the current, misguided, shortsighted, and all around unfathomable War on Public Education.
The values of a district’s public schools are a reflection of that area- so a conservative area will have conservative schools, a poor district will (generally) be poor, etc etc. If a member of that district is unhappy with this, they need to rally support to change it- it’s their system, after all.
To be clear: I’m not saying this is right, just that it is the current state of things.
If you can’t rally support, and there are no other options possible, then that sucks and you have a problem. I don’t envy that position.
I dislike, in general, private schools- in general, they function using unlicensed teachers and (often) don’t make it a priority to improve their quality of education. Of course, as a taxpayer, I love them, as parents that send their children there still pay taxes that support public schools, and that pushes up the available funding (on a per-student basis). So that’s good, I suppose.
I’m bewildered that an institution of learning run by educators would choose to ban a lunchbox like this- in a public school setting, the rules about students’ first amendment rights are pretty well established, and this would clearly be protected. What makes more sense is that this is a private institution (either faith-based or otherwise), and they’re doing this to “enforce a moral code.” Which would be funny, if it weren’t so misguided and sad.
A educator should know there’s a chance here for learning- for a lesson built on an examination of the moral/ethical code of super hero, and what (in a practical sense) that means. Were I teaching it, I’d tie it into earlier models of super heroes as well (so Greek/Roman gods, Beowulf, etc etc). Instead it’s a lost opportunity, and that’s a waste.
The dumb, it burns. We can’t forget that the Dilbert principal also often applies in education, and that in either case (public or private) we are, as parents, not powerless in the process.

1 Like

Will the “grown-ups” please get over themselves?

4 Likes

What greater good is being served here?

2 Likes

Who gets to decide what the “greater” and “good” are? Isn’t it usually some petty bureaucrat with more power than sense? What about the collateral damage, which includes getting people used to be bossed around with nonsensical bans and in the worst cases even happy about it?

1 Like

When you make motorboat sounds in between her hooters, it sounds just like a machine gun.Link to excessive violence is clearly evident.

4 Likes

Sam Adams and I agree with you; far better to die on your feet, with your head up, than live on your knees as a servant to corrupt masters. But I’d rather my children didn’t have to make that choice before they reached eleven years old, you know? It seems like they ought to have a taste of life before being asked to weigh its worth against their right to self-expression.

“Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plow, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom–go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” – Samuel Adams, 1776

3 Likes

Nobody buys a drum set for their own kids.

4 Likes