Cybertruck's "guillotine effect" may amputate fingers (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/25/cybertrucks-guillotine-effect-may-amputate-fingers-video.html

4 Likes

I wonder how wide those doors swing?

I already avoid parking beside huge vehicles wedged into car parking spots for that reason, but that doesn’t stop them from parking beside my car later.

11 Likes

“Without fingers, drivers will be forced to use the self driving features. It is all according to my evil plan!”
-Elon Musk.

13 Likes

There is no limit to what you can do when you ignore all the hard learned elements of safety

15 Likes

Note to self; keep penis well clear of Cybertrucks.

8 Likes

Is this really unique to Cybertrucks? I guess I could get some carrots and see what happens with the doors of my 2003 Prius…

9 Likes

If anyone else is wondering when a red Cybertruck may have become a thing, the picture accompanying the article is from a Model X, which apparently does have pinch sensors. (11:55 in the video.)

5 Likes

As much as I love seeing people dunk on Elon, this isn’t a “feature” unique to the Cybertruck or EVs in general. I can do the same thing on my Dodge Caravan.

9 Likes

I remember as a kid, I some how slammed my pinky in the car door I was shutting. I have no idea how I did it, I remember I was in a hurry. Didn’t break it, but tore/damaged some skin that took awhile to heal :confused:

4 Likes

I’m sure there are all sorts of horrific design and construction flaws in cybertrucks that are dangerous, but it seems like what they’ve shown is that any car door will break a carrot, which doesn’t mean anything. I can break a carrot with only my hands and a degree of force that would leave a human finger unharmed. Carrots aren’t good stand-ins for fingers, for this purpose.

4 Likes

Sounds like they need a sawstop…

easqwulef4hrgssh97ir

5 Likes

The tests, conducted by the team at Out of Spec reviews, showed that many electric vehicles can be risky for people’s appendages

This doesn’t sound specific to Teslas. Why would electric vehicles as a whole be more dangerous this area completely unrelated to the mode of locomotion? It makes me wonder if this is really just a general problem with car doors.

Also, fingers aren’t carrots or hot dogs. I’m pretty confident they’re a lot harder to cut through than either of those things. Not that I’d ever want to get my finger caught in any car door, regardless of make. Pretty sure it’s going to hurt a lot, even if I don’t lose the finger.

4 Likes

Step right up folks, it’s a circumciser!

2 Likes

Let the lawsuits commence.

1 Like

Your Dodge Caravan probably doesn’t have the same sharp edges as the Cybertruck though.

5 Likes

I closed my thumb in a truck-lift.
Yeah, um, compound fracture and permanently damaged nail bed.
It was… not funny.

I miss the old Toyota for handles that you had to hold in the up position when closing the doors as they had 3 benefits:

1. If you forgot your car keys inside, this gave you a last chance at “oh shit!” and letting go of the handle and not locking your keys inside.

2. It became hard to slam the car door when closing it.

3. Your fingers don’t accidentally get sliced off because they’re kept out of the way.

7 Likes

Yeah, fingers are more complicated than hot dogs or carrots. They are both hard and soft, but not brittle. So usually our fingers survive with some degree of injury.

1 Like

The truck designed for wealthy douchbags comes with a built in guillotine? Interesting…

8 Likes

“Hey, check it out! We caught this bourgeois bastard trying to escape in a guillotine, how thoughtful of him,” future revolutionary hauling a multi-millionaire out of a Cybertruck.

2 Likes