Da Musicz

2 Likes

This is surprisingly good.

6 Likes

Is son had to get his musical chops from somewhere. :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t know his son had musical chops.

2 Likes

D’oh! Jeff Daniels lives near Ann Arbor, so I forget his family is more of a local knowledge thing. Not a very original band name, but his son heads the Ben Daniels Band.

3 Likes

FD doing a postmortem…

Donald Glover has way too much talent for one person. Also, Quinta Brunson!

6 Likes

I deliberately didn’t listen to any of it (bar the breakout Kendrick track which I didn’t think was as good as people say) but it’s not like Drake is exactly renowned for his music. Lamer is genuinely brilliant.

It just turns out he’s also a total arsehole and the pair of them need to wipe after this.

They’ve made it crystal clear that they actually don’t care about rape or abuse except in a dick measuring competition.

They are shit human beings. One of them has a musical track record is all.

2 Likes

Seems to be, yeah… neither look particularly good right now.

2 Likes

You know, here’s some Kendrick collaborators that I love.
Robert Glasper Experiment covering pretty obscure Bowie

Thundercat (I know it’s ancient but the modal groove at the end is a psychedelic experience for me) with Herbie Hancock who I had tickets to see this time 4 years ago but it got cancelled and I may never see him now)

And Kamasi Washington who I just bought tickets for last week. I picked this one rather than the new record as it’s the theme for a bonkers LA noir detective show Sugar. The music in the episodes is by Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge whose Jazz is Dead project has no doubt worn out the needle on your computer. A live version just to be different.

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

:thinking:

Here is the trailer (though it’s embedded in the article, too):

6 Likes

Ugh, Paramount+. I have it, but I kinda hate it because their streaming app just suuuuuuucks so bad. At least the one from my cable provider sucks.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Nice… also…

6 Likes

QAA Podcast E279: Kendrick + Drake = Bake
This week, Jake and Liv break down the rap beef that took the world by storm this past month. And of course, because it’s 2024 and the universe has decided to spare none of the QAA hosts, the lyrics contained within the multiple diss tracks became the source of endless amounts of conspiracy theories and baking - with one particular poster claiming to be a “secret insider” set to expose the crimes of the elite. Sound familiar? Of course it does! We will never be free of this, and our souls cry out into the void.

For those who haven’t been following, Jake will catch everyone up to speed on why the beef began in the first place, as well as the accusations contained in each rapper’s lyrics. Then we will descend into hell where Liv will unpack the countless theories circulating in online forums, and the culmination of these theories resulting in real world violence.

1 Like

Today I learned…

The next bit is from the 2010 Goldmine article (no onebox):

It all began with songwriter Jim Weatherly. In the early 1970s, Weatherly, a former University of Mississippi quarterback, was living in the Los Angeles area, where he played on a flag football team with actor Lee Majors.

One day, Weatherly called Majors and instead spoke to Fawcett, Majors’ girlfriend at the time.

“They had just started to go out,” Weatherly says. “We were talking, and she made this statement that she was packing her clothes, getting ready to take the midnight plane to Houston to visit her folks.”

When he heard Fawcett utter the words “midnight plane to Houston,” Weatherly says a “little zinger” went off in his head, and he wrote the song immediately after hanging up the phone.

“It was really a relatively easy song to write, because I actually used Lee and Farrah as a mental movie in my mind about a girl who comes to L.A. to make it, and she struggles and then goes back, and the guy she falls in love with goes back with her,” he explains. “Of course, that wasn’t their story, but it made an interesting little song.

“I never knew how it was going to end,” Weatherly adds. “I just started singing, ‘She’s leaving on the midnight plane to Houston, going back to a simpler place and time. I’ll be with her on the midnight plane to Houston’ — and then this line hit me: ‘I’d rather live in her world than live without her in mine.’ And that locked it up, and I knew then that it was a really decent song.”

4 Likes

I was just thinking, when I posted a bunch of Kendrick collaborators who make great music, that I know nothing of Drake or his Draken. But then I realised I do. I was reading an article in the Grauniad last year and I brought it to the attention of someone I know who was promoting a jazz gig. I told her that the person she was promoting probably had more streams than all the other people she had in the past put together. Drake’s new producers had slapped a big sample of a 70s English jazz band in a single last year. I did listen to it and I think it’s just a bit of VCS3 noodling they copy. The gig was the inimitable and really wonderful Norma Winstone, her old band was Azimuth.

Here’s one with Kenny Wheeler, a setting of a Stevie Smith poem.

4 Likes