Da Musicz

3 Likes

As someone who lived through all that history, with Lavender Jane being my first awareness of it although obviously I’d heard most of the earlier women without realizing the connection, I would say this is a succinct and accurate account.

And for the record, I was a total folkie who went to other festivals and women’s music concerts, but refused to go to “Michigan” even once. They didn’t officially come out as transphobic until 1991, but trust me, even before that it was very clear. Even sons, if they were school-aged, weren’t allowed.

2 Likes
3 Likes

[ETA]

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m just trying to figure out why the song is named after Lithonia…? He’s from Stone Mountain, which is pretty close to Lithonia…

1 Like

I dunno. I just liked it. It’s very reminiscent of 90s pop punk/alt pop stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, I heard it earlier today! I agree it’s fun stuff! Did you see his other new video? I think it’s further up, but here it is…

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s great. And Quinta Brunson!

1 Like

The most underrated band ever

I saw Laika & The Cosmonauts at the first or second South By Southwest, and they were so good I asked them to open for Ministry. During the off season they’re reindeer herders, then they rehearse for the whole winter, playing 1950s surf tunes. They live way the hell out in the Arctic Circle.

4 Likes

The current drummer for the Mars Volta had never heard Limelight by Rush before. In her defense, apparently she came from more of a hip hop background even though she’s currently a drummer in a prog rock band. Fun video, though.

4 Likes

It’s a good day

4 Likes

I’ll put this in the Misogyny thread too

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Young Swans and Sonic Youth

Early Swans…

And early Sonic Youth…

3 Likes
3 Likes