Da Musicz

Just had to look that up as it seemed unlikely he was in Soul Coughing and I think you got the American bass player mixed up with the French singer/songwriter.

Any excuse to post Tony Allen drumming.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right.:grimacing: I’ll correct that.

Normally when I like a band, I learn their names and dig into them a bit. I don’t do that with SC because of the gravity of their influence on me.

Also, heck yeah Tony Allen!

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Never heard of them before, but :metal:

4 Likes

Interesting

4 Likes

Edit
Moved my long, wordy, reply to the Playin’ da Musicz thread.

4 Likes

Weirdly, The Frogman had a post about that video…

Is he doing the Rockism thing? Cause, from Froggies POV, it seems that way… I enjoy Beato quite a bit, but I’m really not a fan of the whole “music from my time is better and music today just sucks”… :thinking:

I think I posted this before (maybe in another thread?)? I’m not sure I totally agree with this guy’s takes on music, but I think there is some thoughtful stuff in this video…

1 Like

A lot of this particular diatribe from Beato was about AI, actually. And some of the changes in the recording of music even before AI that also devalued the contributions of humans and replaced them with things like drum machines, auto tune, etc. I think the first act of Beato’s video here is mostly spot on. The second act, which is all whining about how it was better when it was harder to listen to music, is 100% boomer bullshit.

5 Likes

Ah! Okay… I’ll check it out later on then! Thanks!

2 Likes

I think Beato is at his best when doing things like “What makes this song great” and interviewing musicians. He’s at his worst when he’s making “today’s music sucks” content, but thats only part of this video. When he gets to what he calls Act 2, you can safely stop the video.

2 Likes

Agreed. He knows his stuff about music, and I like to see him being nerdy about songs that he loves.

2 Likes

I’ll refrain from putting my oar in as this is music rather than making or criticising…

Instead I just went to my liked list on Spotify and picked something I discovered and liked recently. Because these are the greatest times ever to be a lover of recorded music.

4 Likes

You ever read this?

He makes some interesting arguments in favor of sound recording… he’s sort of countering the view that recording music sundered the connection between people experiencing music together in a public place at the sight of it’s production, in that it just gave people a new way to make connections with the music and with others consuming that music…

3 Likes

And here’s a cover of Shuggy Otis from ‘22 I only heard the other week:

@Mindysan33 only flicked through it to be honest. It’s on my very long list of books about music that I should read but I have sososososo much to listen to and so many films to watch and I have several instruments to practice/play every day and I work and I do the cooking and time is finite. Fortunately I take most of the summer as unpaid sabbatical (to look after children) and I will, if not catch up on my reading, get fit after a recent illness and play instruments and sing for a couple of hours a day.

5 Likes

Hard Times Struggle GIF by The Ops Authority | Natalie Gingrich

I do recommend it! And it’s not very long. It’s a bit philosophical/impressionistic, but worth the time.

2 Likes

From last night’s playlist

3 Likes

Seeing IV tonight