Da Musicz

1 Like

Speaking of banjos…when the Violent Femmes recorded Country Death Song, the president of the record label, on hearing it, reportedly said, “It’s OK until that piano comes in and ruins it.” There’s no piano in the song. He apparently didn’t know what a banjo sounded like.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Throwback, this has been in my head all day for no reason.

7 Likes

We have a thread for that!

4 Likes

[ETA]

[ETA]

4 Likes

More than 30 years ago a friend from Boston sent me a CD, a compilation with several american bands. One of these bands was Velocity Girl. I was completely hooked by their indie-pop-rock. In an age with almost no access to Internet, I struggled to find a place that sold used CDs and sent it abroad. Copacetic and Simpatico were one of the very first albums I´ve bought with my salary of my first job.

[Velocity Girl - Copacetic (Peel Session version) Youtube.com)]

5 Likes

Just last week I was assembling an “Every Cocteau Twins Track In Chronological Order”playlist and I couldn’t decide if I should include all of The Moon and the Melodies, none of it, or just the tracks with Elizabeth singing.

:person_shrugging:

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m very certain I posted this once before, but here it is again:

2 Likes

Finally, a follow-up worthy of " Prisencolinensinainciusol."

3 Likes

Which is a badass track in and of itself

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

By the time I was in high school a lot of pop music styles I’d grown up with were starting to sound a little long in the tooth, and hearing this made me realize it was the performance that mattered.

1 Like

I came around as a full adult when I realized what I knew about music was nothing:

5 Likes

Thursday my BF and I went to Third Man Records, maybe a mile away, and saw Jah Wobble. He’s got a great band, inc the XLNT guitarist Jon Klein, once of Specimen. They opened with

while I was out front. I danced my way back in and thru the crowd XD

The stuff they played was from all different genres - jazz, dub, one song made me say “If they had a flute player, this would be be prog!”, they performed Liquidator (a classic Jamaican rock steady tune by The Harry J Allstars), metal-ish bits, punk, funk…He even recited a passage from Richard III ! They did Poptones, and another goodie from Metal Box, too.

If I heard right, the unbelievably sexy, varnished not painted, weirdly shaped, vintage Ovation bass he played was a loaner from the venue.
jaw
Mr Wobble LOL’d and liked it a lot when I said, “Man, that Ovation is sexy!” I told Mr Klein the Ovation deserved an ovation, and he cracked up.

High-quality house gear would hardly be surprising, given the uncommon, uncommonly selective nature of the shows Mr Jack White puts on there, and also, Jack White.

I saw Pere Ubu, and a project of Colin Newman from Wire among others there.

It was an amazing show. Just incredible.

8 Likes

Haha the sha na na guy saying they are next. I’d hate to be the act following that performance!

2 Likes

Brutal

Granted, it is infernally catchy, but it is the Bic for Her of pop, the pink Yorkie for girls (get your lips around this!), a song that made me feel stupider every sorry time I listened to it.

3 Likes
1 Like