Da Musicz

Smashing Pumpkins are cancelled, permanently.

https://twitter.com/deathsdoorx/status/974118513928372224?s=21

Musical palate cleanser from the politics:

10 Likes

I thought it was rather boring. I miss the earlier rage rock of my youth.

Thanks @Wanderfound for the intel on Billy. Damn, one just never knows. They’re off the playlist!

3 Likes

Yeah, outside of rocking out, Billy’s had a weird trajectory from vegan-tea-shop owner to pro-wrestling writer and CEO to far-right MAGA-spewing crazy-conspiracy-theory pundit on Infowars. He’s even been theorizing about lizard people lately.

5 Likes

What’s this strange weirdness on 1960s West German TV, why it’s the Monks, a avant-garde rock band of 5 American soldiers:

10 Likes

Ahh The Monks… Protopunk at it’s best.

2 Likes

Really crazy stuff, these guys.

2 Likes

Wow! Clearly ahead of their time.

I’m somehow not surprised that they found an appreciative audience in Germany.

I wonder what happened to those guys?

(I know, Google could probably tell me, etc.)

1 Like

I think they got back together later on, but I think at least one of the guys in the band has since passed away. Fortunately, there great music is still there for us to enjoy.

1 Like

Low has been a favorite band of mine for a long time, and their music tends to swing between crunchy, heavy guitar tunes and some of the most delicate, pretty, atmospheric songs in my record collection. They’re turning 25 this year, and are apparently celebrating by putting out the weirdest stuff they’ve ever done.

2 Likes

Summertime Music

Former subway band is getting their groove on. Latest recording makes for great party music. New Orleans style y’all!

1 Like

Some friends of mine have been discovering how cool hurdy-gurdies sound recently, so I found this video (not taken by me) from the concert where I first heard one, back in 1995, and its sound knocked me out. Nigel Eaton with Page & Plant.

It’s actually a great primer for the different sounds a hurdy-gurdy can make. He starts out with just the melody strings engaged, so it’s basically a mechanized violin. At 1:33 he reaches up and engages the drone strings (this was very intense live) for that deep medieval sounding tone. Then at 2:26 he engages the trompette string, which creates that rhythmic buzz. When I heard this, I couldn’t believe all of that sound was coming from this one guy.

3 Likes

I always like this as an example of “too much music from one instrument”:

(slow build, but worthwhile)

Or if we allow simultaneous instruments…

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes

Because Sens8 totally reminded me how awesome this song is:

6 Likes

Thursday, June 21st
6:00 AM - 6:00 PM PT
#PUBLICENEMYKEXP
In celebration of its 30th anniversary, KEXP presents the latest in our series of album breakdowns, dissecting the classic platinum-selling Public Enemy record It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Over the course of 12 hours for this live radio event, the station will play every discernable recording sampled on the album, along with exclusive interviews with Public Enemy co-founder Chuck D, the producer of the record Hank Shocklee of the Bomb Squad, Ishmael Butler of Shabazz Palaces and Digable Planets, former KEXP DJ Larry Mizell, Jr., professor, writer, and historian Dr. Daudi Abe, and more. It’s a celebration of Public Enemy, Thursday June 21st, only on KEXP, where Public Enemy really matters.

https://www.kexp.org/publicenemy30/

Lots of really great music. Tune in if you get a chance.

8 Likes

I’m listening right now!

Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

Ever since I toured the Moog factory, I’ve been dwelling on how awesome 80s synth pop was… Erasure, Depeche Mode, Yaz, especially. DM was always a criminally underrated band.

Also, very early DM (post Vince Clarke, so 2nd album…?) video, which always brings me joy:

Why are they in a barn, petting chickens? Who is that couple, making out back there? I don’t know, but young Dave Gahan was adorable.

5 Likes

I love that the joke here is that the whitest, most dad-rocking guy on earth is covering trap tunes, but that Dave Matthews ends up making unexpectedly great versions of these songs. I’d totally buy this album.

2 Likes

Gorillaz’ Boiler Room performance of their new album in Tokyo, only available for one day:

4 Likes