David Icke banned from Facebook

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/david-icke-banned-from-faceboo.html

6 Likes

But not the most well-known conspiracy monger with a virtually limitless reach and influence. Way to take a stand, FB.

14 Likes

Good. Someone from another forum sent me his interview about coronavirus. I could watch only beginning, but it is clear that he was not deluded, but was arguing in bad faith. He argues that virus is not real. People will die because of this.

5 Likes

Also… I should buy a lathe…

18 Likes

Because G5; 5X4=20: 20-1=19; see; COVID-19 (!)

Pay attention, this is important.

16 Likes

That was too coherent for Icke.

5 Likes

I got to somewhere about turquoise track suits.
I just have to be satisfied with my ignorance.

4 Likes

If only he was.

4 Likes

David Icke - another object lesson in nominative determinism.

11 Likes

His support of the Green Party was considered to be a good thing for the party in the 80s. Unfortunately he found the new age conspiracy wing of the party and things started going downhill from there.

6 Likes

One of the fun bits of Jon Ronson’s book Them, which delved into conspiracy theories and the nuts who propagate them, was when he was researching and interviewing Icke. He had been warned beforehand by the Anti-Defamation League or some other Jewish advocacy group that when Icke talks about “reptilians” he’s really just using it as a euphemism/code word for “Jews,” like how the Nazis used the word “rats” to say the same thing.

After his sit-down with Icke he went back to that group and basically said “guys, I think when he claims that powerful people around the world are actually reptiles disguised as human beings he really is talking about literal reptiles.”

19 Likes

Facebook’s Reptilian masters are pleased.

9 Likes

I saw a thing on TV a while back where he was just sort of talking about his day-to-day life as he went about his business.

He’s still very likeable.

1 Like

He is a holocaust denier. :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

Don’t get me wrong: I agree Icke is ALSO an anti-Semite. Ronson’s experience with Icke just suggested that he’s an anti-Semite who legitimately thinks that some powerful people around the world are really reptiles disguising themselves in people-suits. So when he says stuff like “the Queen is a reptile!” he isn’t subtly suggesting that she’s a secret Jew, he’s suggesting that she’s one of those folks from V.

12 Likes

I don’t know… I find that kind of problematic, because it makes him into an adorable weirdo instead of someone who is responsible for spreading dangerous ideology. I think it’s become crystal clear that people like Icke are far more dangerous than we thought.

14 Likes

But if a bigoted nutbag believes something truly insane, do we have an obligation to pretend he’s more sane and reasonable than he really is?

8 Likes

I’ll gentle suggest that the ideology he’s spreading is STILL having an impact and treating him like a circus clown has not slowed that down at all.

9 Likes

He’s less a “circus clown” than a “John Wayne Gacy” kind of clown.

10 Likes

Right? I just think that the real danger he represents has been down played, because of the weird alien stuff [ETA: which, contrary to Ronson, is more likely very much a tactic to get in the anti-semitic poison pill]. I think some don’t delineate between the circus clown and the more dangerous serial killer clown… they just see a clown, because the danger isn’t aimed at them. Same with people like David Duke. His ideology was able to spread in the GOP, in part because most people saw him as a harmless clown, because of his KKK days, since most people don’t believe the KKK is a serious threat any more. He used that to inject his ideology into the GOP, and here we are.

13 Likes