DC Metro provided private subway car for white supremacists at Sunday's rally

I kinda have to agree with some on here, that keeping this scum away from the rest of the population is well worth it.

My big question is why the driver didn’t just drive this train on to a different line, away from where the demonstration was scheduled?

Collecting their weapons. “I’m not going to debate” :joy:

10 Likes

Seems to be a lot of cold dead hands in that crowd.

14 Likes

And they yanked those flags off pretty disrespectfully. Definitely not up to color party drill standard.

7 Likes

Exactly, give them their own carriage, make it a cattle wagon.

Can we be more upset about the fact that white supremacists are aggregating power, and less upset that just keeping them the hell away from everyone else was probably the best solution?

It feels like it normalizes white supremacists, but it also seems like the kind of thing with really, really bad optics and which will likely do more to foment dislike of the alt-right than it will to make closeted white-supremacists to come stumbling out.

As bad as this is, maybe it’ll wake some more people up–maybe actually seeing literal segregation happening will be enough to get more people up off of their asses and doing something to stop this comparatively tiny-but-loud group of hate mongers from just dictating the national narrative.

While 1 white supremacist is 1 too many in my book. The reports were that there were dozens of them there. Too many sure…but I am not sure “dozens” qualifies as aggregating power in my book either.

2 Likes

Oh FFS… “making the trains run on time” is literally the ONE POSITIVE THING fascists are known for and now they’ve ruined that too.

15 Likes

Nah. They never did that… Not only are fascists murderous barbarians, they are shit at running governments effectively.

26 Likes

Wait…Spock was wrong in the episode Patterns of Force!!!

[Capt. Kirk]: Gill. Gill, why did you abandon your mission? Why did you interfere with this culture?

[John Gill]: Planet… fragmented… divided. Took lesson from… Earth history.

[Capt. Kirk]: But why Nazi Germany? You studied history. You knew what the Nazis were.

[John Gill]: Most efficient state… Earth ever knew.

[Spock]: Quite true, Captain. That tiny country, beaten, bankrupt, defeated; rose in a few years to stand only one step away from global domination.

[Capt. Kirk]: But it was brutal, perverted; had to be destroyed at a terrible cost. Why that example?

[Spock]: Perhaps Gill felt that such a state, run benignly, could accomplish its efficiency without sadism.

4 Likes

Like the old UK motor car law that every car had to have a man wth a red flag walking in front. I think this should be resurrected for these right-wing fucks. Not allowed out in public without someone walking in front with a red flag (or a leper bell, shouting “unclean, unclean”). I mean, how can we reliably punch them if they go out without their badges and regalia?

6 Likes

Yep… Spock was quite mistaken, there. And of course, the historiography of the Third Reich would have been in it’s infancy at that point anyway, so the projection that the nazis wanted to make during the 30s and 40s would still have dominated popular imagination of the day, so it’s not a huge surprise that this was how it was understood by many.

Now I’m wondering if this was one of the first popular depictions of the nazis (outside of WW2 movies) after the war?

But he was right about lots of other things, though, so it all evens out.

live-long

21 Likes

my child hood is now ruined. :slight_smile:

Interesting how the Star Trek franchise revisited the Nazi theme a couple times throughout the different series (Voyager and Enterprise).

3 Likes

The costumes and sets come pretty cheap; remember the TOS didn’t have much of a budget those first few years.

11 Likes

A train is not a road vehicle, the driver has pretty much zero input on what track they run on.

1 Like

The second world war and the holocaust were such disruptive and history changing events that it’s not a huge surprise, I guess. It remade Europe again (for the second time in so many decades), laid the groundwork for the Cold War and the Atomic age, shifted popular views on race and segregation, fed the fuel of decolonization, and killed off a huge number of people. The people making all of the series were either part of the WW2 gen, their children, or grandchildren.

I tend to think that even writing about the future, you can’t help but be influenced by history (echoing it) and one’s own experiences/families experiences.

13 Likes

Well to be fair, he grew up on Vulcan and I bet their Earth history was watered down :wink:

7 Likes

He’s half HUMAN though! He should know better! :wink:

Actually, I bet that Vulcan historians have a better grasp of Earth histories than earth historians do in that future…

Now THAT would be an interesting book… a history of earth told from the perspective of a Vulcan historian!

11 Likes

Göring used to mess up train schedules with his private train. Other trains had to wait and let it pass. Hermann wanted a smooth ride to prevent the bathwater sloshing around in his tub.
The trains to the camps were punctual enough, though.

9 Likes

See. Fascists are bad at government.

9 Likes