Democrat John Fetterman wins PA senate race in first major election call. It's midnight and there's no red wave

Well, in that case I’d write in my own name. Which solves nothing, but doesn’t sound like you had any other choices. Yuck.

6 Likes

pimp

8 Likes

7 Likes

Notice that the displayed chart is “Average Polls”. Know how to skew an average? Add your own polls to the tally. Conservative skewed polls are a growth market. They are used like the cheesey small-town reviews in movie ads.

“Greatest Politician Ever!” - Woody’s Bar poll, Hooterville Times Herald

7 Likes

Part of the media’s sudden realization that the “red wave” expectation was not real has been talk about how the polling shift it was based on came out of GOP aligned polling and the Republican’s internal polls.

So yea.

8 Likes

You clearly know it, but those last two words should be in scare quotes. There’s no way that the raft of reporters, decision desk staffers, pundits, etc. upon which the corporate media outlets base the credibility of their election coverage don’t know what’s been going on with the polling and are genuinely “surprised” that it turned out to be wrong. They’re either grossly incompetent or (more likely) willfully blind to how broken and compromised the polling they’re so invested in is.

12 Likes

It catered to their preferences. A tight race, with an easy clear narrative, “shocking” flip of control. All fits the shitty horse race coverage we get of elections. That false balance thing means that when a GOP functionary shows up and brags about how their polling shows them winning everything, they just implicitly accept it.

This is all good for the bottom line for most media.

It’s just broken, and they’ve learned nothing and done nothing in the wake of 2016.

16 Likes

At least Oz didn’t follow the GOP denial playbook. That’s the best thing I can say about him:

28 Likes

Sadly, I think we’re re-electing the Oosik to Gov here in AK. Guy has done little to not fsck the state up over the past four years, but big cash giveaways via the (unsustainable) PFD do tend to cloud peoples judgement.

5 Likes

Whew. That’s a load off.

2 Likes

Might be some more good news coming our way. Lauren Boebert is trailing in her race - not by much, but she’s behind:

20 Likes

I guess the “shy Republicans” answered the phone, but were too shy to vote. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes
18 Likes

It’s the short form of the Narcissist’s Prayer.

18 Likes

Good to see that cratering pumpkin fading away!!

13 Likes

22 Likes

“I don’t take responsibility at all.” - Donald J. Trump

8 Likes

While Vermont -tends- to be a liberal bastion, it’s governor is republican, BUT he seems a compassionate, “reality-based”, and far far away from the fAr rIGhT. I guess that’s what I consider my definition (opinion) for a “good republican” of times gone by, but more accurately a centrist republican. Correct me if my term centrist is incorrect.

That said, Vermont is a shelter for all views, and I was unfortunate to see “f Biden”, etc. flags on peoples houses. Some real nasty stuff.
I keep telling myself, “this is what Democracy is…”, opposing views and the right to have them, but it’s my OPINION that everyone should keep the vulgarities to inside their homes and to exercise your opinion only at the voting booth.

Vermont has been deluged with people fleeing COVID from other states, and housing prices haven gotten CRAZY. Good luck finding housing there :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

“Never have done, never will.”

The walls of Mar-a-Lago must be running red with ketchup right now.

I just want the GOP to decide that the crappy showing by Trump’s picked candidates means that he’s passed his sell-by-date and isn’t a sure-fire winner any more. Which means that they might open up the primaries again, instead of just declaring Trump the party’s pick. Then, if we’re very, very lucky, we get to see a no-holds-barred shit-flinging grudge match between Trump and DeSantis. Which, with just a little more luck, will leave both candidates so badly hamstrung that neither looks electable. And if DeSantis wins, and Trump just happens to decide to run as an independent … well, if you’re listening, Santa, now you know what I want for Christmas.

17 Likes

Yep, all of which I’m aware of. Not worried about the housing, though. We’ve had no problem finding plenty of places for sale. There’s a lot of chatter about “no housing” and “crazy prices,” and most of it at this point is hyperbole. We’re finding the market has settled down, even cooled off a ton. I don’t think folks’ perceptions have caught up with the change.

8 Likes