Democrats in Congress reauthorize Patriot Act, again

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/democrats-in-congress-reauthor.html

6 Likes

Why, O why, does AOC hate America?

5 Likes

At a loss for words.

6 Likes

And boo to the 219 Democratic representatives who voted to deprive us of our civil liberties!

They should be ashamed of themselves.

13 Likes

When, oh when will this permanent state of emergency end?

22 Likes

I can find five who voted against: Reps. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), Grace Meng (D-N.Y.), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.),Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.). Anybody know who the others are? I’d like to write & thank them all.

Also, this three-month renewal is supposed to be for purposes of debate. Seems like an important time to contact your representative.

19 Likes

Of course they did.

Silver linings; thin, though, they are…

12 Likes

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez voted against. Whatever your personal reasons for doing so, please don’t spread misinformation. We have enough of that already.

Just 10 Democrats defied the leadership to vote against the resolution, including Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar (a.k.a. “the Squad”). “I cannot in good conscience vote in favor of a [continuing resolution] that reauthorizes unconstitutional mass surveillance authorities,” Tlaib told me, “especially under a president who has retweeted images of his opponents jailed and suggests anyone who disagrees with him is a criminal.” AOC tweeted before the vote, “Yeah that’s gonna be a no from me dog.”

ETA: I just realized you’re probably being sardonic. Given the ambiguity of your comment, I’d strongly encourage amending an /s tag to such posts, since in the literal sense, the Patriot Act is hateful of America.

8 Likes

I think you just answered your own question.

And so, I’m gonna Godwin this thread, but fuck it…

9 Likes

vOtE bLUe nO mATteR wHo

10 Likes

On a related theme…

5 Likes

While the Dems are the party of choice when it comes to being shameful/remorseful for things – especially when compared to the morally bankrupt members of the GOP – in the case of the Patriot Act, it became clear during the 8 years while Obama was in office and nothing was done to repeal it that the majority of our elected Democrats see it as a powerful tool to have in the toolbox “when” they take back over again.

10 Likes

It was a joke, man.

2 Likes

Don’t worry: Godwin himself declared Godwin’s suspended a while back.

3 Likes

Teamwork!

FB_IMG_1574311870805

(It’s a metaphor, man.)

3 Likes

Belatedly got that; mea culpa. Just saying, we all live in the shadow of Poe’s Law.

4 Likes

We’ve always been at war with EastAsia.

Stuff like this always makes me think of the end of Three Days of the Condor, when Redford is about to blow the whistle and the government stooge confronts him with this:

It’s simple economics. Today it’s oil, right? In ten or fifteen years, food. Plutonium. Maybe even sooner. Now, what do you think the people are gonna want us to do then? Ask 'em when they’re running out. Ask 'em when there’s no heat in their homes and they’re cold. Ask 'em when their engines stop. Ask 'em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won’t want us to ask 'em. They’ll just want us to get it for 'em!

The same can be said about “security.” People who have always been relatively comfortable just want to feel “safe,” they don’t care what it takes or what they have to give up to get them that feeling. And, to be clear, it’s a feeling, not actual safety, because that has never existed and never will.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.